Prague Powder in Jalapeño Cheese Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tomasbigeater

Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
Moscow, Idaho
We (my son and I) want to try making Jalapeño Cheese pork sausage. We have found a number of recipes that look good. What is your opinion about using Prague powder with cheese and Jalapenos? What about smoking this sausage?

We are veteran sausage makers and understand why Prague powder is added to sausage meat. We have no experience with cheese and Jalapeños and how they might react with Prague powder.

There is no need for cure if your making brats. Do a search for Bratwurst and you will find lots of recipes. Fully cook after stuffing or vac bag and freeze for future use.

We will be using hog casings. The plan would be to fully cook the sausage before eating.

Question is: Does the cure affect the cheese and Jalapenos is any way (positive, negative or neutral)? We like prague powder in the German, all pork, low temp smoke sausage we make.

I have made many batches of cheese and chili stuffed sausages and always use Prague Powder#1 if I will be smoking them (which I usually do). I've never seen or heard about any issues concerning their interaction.

I use cure 1 in " fresh " sausage to be grilled . I've used it in jalapeno cheddar brats , polish , and hot pork sausage . All in hog casings , not smoked , cooked on the grill . Comes out fantastic . Use the proper amounts and enjoy . I see no worries .

If you are smoking these you know you need the cure .

No issue. I've bought and made hot kielbasa with jalapenos. I have also made cheese kielbasa with High Temp Cheddar from Sausage Maker...JJ

Smart move. Low temp smoke is the key to requiring the cure. IMO "any" sausage that is smoked and not intended to be hot grilled needs cure (ie not a "fresh" use type sausage).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky