Pozole Rojo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Made this yesterday for dinner.

Recipe first then my pics.

You will need.

Ingredients
2 pounds of pork cut into medium sized cubes
6 guajillo chiles
1 Can of hominy
6 cloves of garlic
1 tomato
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 onion
1 teaspoon of oregano (mexican if you can)
1 teaspoon of cumin
2 bay leaves

Accompaniments
2 cups Chopped radish
8 lime
4 cups chopped lettuce or shredded cabbage. (you can find these already in bags)
40 homemade tortilla chips
chopped cilantro
1 chopped onion
Sliced or cubed avocado

Instructions
Cook the pork meat in sufficient water (ensuring that the pork is completely covered with an inch or two to spare) with 1 clove of garlic, 1/4 piece of an onion (not diced), the bay leaves, salt and pepper. Set aside 1/2 cup of the broth from cooking the pork.

Once the meat is cooked through, remove the bay leave, onion, and garlic clove, and add the hominy and bring to a boil for 15 minutes. (Drain hominy is opt)

Prepare the guajillo chilies by removing the seeds and stem and boiling in water for 5-7 minutes or until soft. Set aside for the next step.

Blend the remaining 5 cloves of garlic, the guajillo chilies, the tomato, another 1/4 piece of the onion, the cumin, the salt, the pepper, the 1/2 cup of broth that was set aside in step 1 above, and 1/2 cup of hominy (to thicken the sauce) in a blender until completely blended.

Once the above mixture is blended, strain the mixture and add the strained liquid to the boiling pot with the pork and water. Season with oregano and add salt to taste.
Let boil 15 minutes longer.
Serve hot, topped with chopped lettuce, onions, radishes, and a few drops of lime and finally the homemade tortilla chips

Dried guajillo.
20211116_083658.jpg

Using boneless pork butt
20211116_152943.jpg

Add the onion, garlic and bay leaves.
20211116_154237.jpg

Broiling good. Poek is getting tender.
20211116_160151.jpg

Prepping the chilis.
20211116_162340 copy.jpg

After the blending of the chili mix i double strained it.
20211116_165552.jpg

The chili sauce after straining.
20211116_170150.jpg

Just follow the directions and bring it all together.
20211116_173449 copy.jpg

A bowl for me. Im not a radish eater so this was good. My SIL is PR and he ate 3 bowls.
20211116_184656.jpg

Man that looks great! I have an aunt that makes a Posole Rojo extremely well but its basically made the same as Menudo having hominy but using pork meat instead of using beef tripe.

All of this stuff is about to be had here over the Holidays. I'm looking forward to it :)

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That looks good. A nice simple preparation...JJ

Looks good. You reminded me that I have not made my (much longer) version of Pozole in a long time. It's winter and it's time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky