Pots, Pans, etc....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For those of you that love Lodge Cast Iron, come on down (or up) to South Pittsburg, TN in the Spring for the Cornbread Festival. This is where Lodge's factory is located, and it's the only time they offer tours of their factory. It's pretty cool to see how this awesome cookware is created.

For those of you that love Lodge Cast Iron, come on down (or up) to South Pittsburg, TN in the Spring for the Cornbread Festival. This is where Lodge's factory is located, and it's the only time they offer tours of their factory. It's pretty cool to see how this awesome cookware is created.
I have been wanting to make that trip. Is it publicized? RV Parks nearby?

My most used pan for preparing supper is a 17" Lodge Skillet. It is huge! It can sear 8 full size Burgers, 6 Pork Cops or 3 Porterhouse Steaks. It will be 1 year old on Christmas and is nearly as non-stick as my Teflon pans...JJ

We have one like this at bear camp. I'm not sure of the exact size but it is HEAVY! It's great to make breakfast for 10-12 guys. You can make almost the whole meal in segments and only dirty one pan.

I'm not sure how old it is, but it's been there as long as anyone can remember and some of the members were in this cabin since the early 60's. Just shows that quality lasts..

Bought a set of curtis stone coated about 2-3 years ago and have been great, no flaking or peeling ect, that said I use my cast iron a lot and my smokers and grill more

My wife refuses to use CI, says it's too heavy. I bought new Stainless Steel pans last year and all she does is fuss about them. I refuse to get her non stick because she always cooks too hat and scorches the centers and then it starts to peel. I have taken over all the cooking to keep peace in the marriage. I love my CI pans and my SS pans and wouldn't want to cook on anything else.

Tramontina makes some nice stuff too. They are the manufacturer behind a lot of 'brand-name' cookware.

I have a few pieces of the Tramontina enameled dutch ovens. I got them at Sam's in a two-pack - 7-quart and 4-quart. I picked up a second boxed set around CHristmas a gift and it was in the $55-60 range for the set. These are quite nice and you can't beat the price. Sam's currently shows a 6-quart on sale for $39.98.

Dutch Oven.jpg

The wife has a Le Creuset 6 or 8 qt and loves it. Especially for stews and curry dishes. She also has what Lodge use to call a chicken fryer which is just a large heavy cast iron skillet with lid. Works very well for it's intended purpose.

So... To our pro chefs, amateur chefs.. and everyone in between...

My girl and I have been together for about 20 years. We've bought a few sets of pans, but I think we're getting serious now. We're trying to help out some friends this Christmas.

If you could donate any set of pots, pans, or anything in between to another upcoming chef what would you give?

Disclaimer:. I've done okay this year so think big. I'm looking for full pot and pan sets or at least manufactures to consider. This friend needs the best. Could be mix-n-match if needed
I use an old Magnalite set that I got from my father. He got it from his Mother.This set is probably 50 to 60 years old

Last edited:
Lodge use to call a chicken fryer which is just a large heavy cast iron skillet with lid.

Is that the Combi dutch oven? I have one. The bottom is like a skillet but with higher sides (chicken fryer), and the lid can double as a griddle.

Edited to add, I looked it up and it shows up under the name Combo and the handles have changed. This is what's out there now:

b8609e5a-1c91-4b48-a1d1-67bcaec89758_1.cbff2388c14ec511cb9968b7a8305d03.jpeg

This is mine, the lid has a tang that latches into the bottom.
P1020932.JPG

Last edited:
80% of my cooking is outside on my Weber grill and with the veggies i have a non stick veggie pan made for the grill that my mom got me for Christmas one year. I also love my Cast Iron and have a 12', 16" and 18" i got from BassPro.

Also a Dutch oven cast iron. I also use these on camping trips and love the ease of cooking over a fire if needed and also the clean up.

The pans I have for the house is a mix match of different Brands. Not all pots and pan packages have what I wanted or needed for cooking and i want the best non-stick pan in different sizes. My favorite is a pan i seen on TV and now sold in Walmart, it has the green non-stick surface on the inside and I can cook an egg in it with no oil. I have used this for over two years and still no breakdown of the non-stick.

My buddy has the "new" Granite pans and he said that they are really good and non-stick, plus he can use the metal utensil's without scratching it. I am going to give it a couple months and see what he thinks about them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky