Potato Sausage Round 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Potato Sausage Round 2

Hi Guys, so back in July I tried this for the first time , said I will try again . so here it is .

It was half a success. But with the help and information from a lot of you folks I tried again. ( thanks for all the input )
This time I changed the flavor just a tad. But the big thing was i put the raw potatoes through the grinder with my 1/4" plate and no blade
instead of 3/8" cubes cut by hand. Also instead of steaming I poached for 30 minutes until "IT " was 160 deg.

And as some of you mentioned , it could have been the casing. This time I soaked and rinsed for a week. The big problem is the casing as I still had a
few blow outs even as i was stuffing. I used 2 casings and after all was finally stuffed . 1 set of links had a couple breaks and the other did not.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Close up of the potato sausage before the poaching After the poaching
4.JPG
5.JPG

Fried up a couple and I was told/asked if this was supper and can we also have fried eggs. What can you say to that but " Yes Dear !"

6.JPG
7.JPG

So the answer to all of this is , I must get better casings , as these cannot be trusted to not break up, and this will be made more often.

So thank you everyone for the advice and helping me with my issues on potato sausages ... ( my other issues probably need paid professional help ) lol

Thanks for staying to the end .

David

That is some top notch stuff right there, sausage looks phenomenal! Being a born and raised Idaho boy… love some taters! Nice job man!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That is some top notch stuff right there, sausage looks phenomenal! Being a born and raised Idaho boy… love some taters! Nice job man!

Thanks WaterinHoleBrew for the like and the comment
This batch worked out better for the blend and holding together, Grinding the
potatoes made it also easier to stuff. We like potatoes lots of ways also

David

Looks much better. Try the Syracuse Casing. Night and Day from Home Pack...JJ

Thanks Chef JJ for the like and the comment, yes it looks much better this round and I tweaked the flavor to my liking.
Like I mentioned above , it stuffed easier , stayed together when slicing, and poaching was a better choice.

As for the Syracuse Casing, I tried to get it delivered here to me as lots of members here swore by them.
So I was in contact with them and they said they can't right now, and do not see anytime soon or at all delivering
across the boarder . So as i'm searching for a better casing north of the boarder I wanted to make the sausages so
I took my chances, 1 casing was good the other had thin spots that could not take the pressure.

David

David that sausage looks outstanding!! I'm thinking about doing a twist on it. Use breakfast sausage that I make a lot of, add the taters as you did, and a couple other goodies. That would make a fantastic breakfast meat & tater side dish. Very well done sir.

Robert

That sure looks good, but potato sausage does not sound good to me. But I would sure give it a try, cause yours looks delicious!
Al

David that sausage looks outstanding!! I'm thinking about doing a twist on it. Use breakfast sausage that I make a lot of, add the taters as you did, and a couple other goodies. That would make a fantastic breakfast meat & tater side dish. Very well done sir.

Robert
Thanks Robert for the like and the comment
Yes this was a much better result compared to the first one.
I say go for it , I have a few different ideas also once I find a better supply of casings, I might try at the butcher in
the next town and see if I can buy from him.
Let me know what kind of concoctions you come up with. I know they will be wild and good.

David

That sure looks good, but potato sausage does not sound good to me. But I would sure give it a try, cause yours looks delicious!
Al

Thanks Al for the like and the comment

Yes it sounds weird but tastes really good , and you can add your own twist and flavors like tx smoker tx smoker says he is going to do.

David

Looks great from here. We were just talking about making A small batch. We put tons of onions in also. Gave some a light smoke one time, pretty good.

Looks great from here. We were just talking about making A small batch. We put tons of onions in also. Gave some a light smoke one time, pretty good.

Thanks Winterrider for the like and the comment
I also love onions in everything ...not cake... and I put lots in these.
When you smoked yours did you poach them first ?

David

Thanks Winterrider for the like and the comment
I also love onions in everything ...not cake... and I put lots in these.
When you smoked yours did you poach them first ?

David
No we did not, just gave them about 45 mins with some hickory dust.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky