Potato and sausage soup.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Steve, thanks for resurrecting a memory and recipe for me. I'd completely forgotten about this soup my mother would make on occasion. Definitely making it soon.

Kale is my wife's kryptonite, so baby spinach will replace it.
Thank you! With spinach you should add right at the end because it wilts and cooks down so fast.

Lost me at Kale, but suckered me back in with Spinach. I love potato soup and this sounds like a great variation. Shame the she-beast won't eat homemade soups, but this skinny guy can pack it away for several meals in a row, til there ain't none. Gonna try it.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That looks amazing Steve!
We eat a lot of soup & I’m bookmarking this one for future use!
Thanks for posting the recipe!!!
Al

Lost me at Kale, but suckered me back in with Spinach. I love potato soup and this sounds like a great variation. Shame the she-beast won't eat homemade soups, but this skinny guy can pack it away for several meals in a row, til there ain't none. Gonna try it.
Thank you!

now that looks good! and like a recipe that can be moded on the ingredients. Love It!

Last edited:
Bright likes big city!! Congrats on the ride. As we have discussed it’s soup time and I love soup. This looks great Steve.

Steve, thats a hearty looking soup! I've not had kale but I do like spinach . I'll have to give it a try for my first time trying kale. Going to need recipes like this soon. Starting to get cool in the mornings here.

Bright likes big city!! Congrats on the ride. As we have discussed it’s soup time and I love soup. This looks great Steve.
Thanks! Once I get off this 7 day run at work. I'm planning on making another soup I like. Hot and sour soup.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Steve, thats a hearty looking soup! I've not had kale but I do like spinach . I'll have to give it a try for my first time trying kale. Going to need recipes like this soon. Starting to get cool in the mornings here.
Thanks Travis! Spinach can work too. Just add it at the very end of the cook.

Better known Zuppa Toscana.
It is a pretty simple soup. But loaded with flavor.
I've done this with a crock pot, dutch oven, and once with a IP. My favorite is with the crockpot.
Cook 6 or so slices of bacon until crispy in a heavy cast iron skillet if you have one. I prefer the thick sliced. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to drain.
Add 1 pound hot sausage. Either links with the skin removed. Or bulk. in the skillet. and cook and crumble until browned. Remove and drain.
Cook in skillet one med. onion diced and 2 cloves minced garlic until onions are slightly cooked. Remove from pan and let drain.
View attachment 462537
Cut 5 or 6 Russet potatoes into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes. Rinse and drain until water is clear.
1 bunch of Kale stems removed and torn to manageable pieces.
Salt and pepper to taste. I never add salt. With the broth, bacon, and sausage I find it has enough salt.
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
5 cups chicken broth.
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Add the meats, potatoes, and red pepper flakes, pepper, and onions to the crock pot.
Then add the chicken broth. The broth should cover the mixture. If not. You can add water or more broth to do so.
Cover. And cook on high for about 4 hours until potatoes are done.
When done. Add the Kale and heavy cream. And cook for another 30 minutes.
Then add the parmesan cheese.
Here is where you can decide if the soup is at the desired thickness. It can vary. Usually I'll add a slurry of water and corn starch to thicken slightly. I prefer my soups leaning towards a chowder thickness a bit. A tbs of corn starch with a 1/4 cup water does the trick.
Then plate up with some crusty bread on the side.

View attachment 462538
Amazing man!

I make a version of this with cauliflower instead of potatoes which comes out great!
If I want to further reduce the carb count I use Swish Chard to further reduce the carb count. It's a little misconceiving that kale has more net carbs in it than you would imagine so I switch to a lower green that does the trick!

I am a soup LOVER and this one is one that is in my top 5 of soups :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky