• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Potato and sausage soup.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Amazing man!

I make a version of this with cauliflower instead of potatoes which comes out great!
If I want to further reduce the carb count I use Swish Chard to further reduce the carb count. It's a little misconceiving that kale has more net carbs in it than you would imagine so I switch to a lower green that does the trick!

I am a soup LOVER and this one is one that is in my top 5 of soups :)
I didn't know that about the chard. And I do like it. Thanks for the tip. And the compliment

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 14, 2017
Love this stuff! My wife makes it and it’s probably one of my favorites! Yours looks great!

mike243

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
Kale is supposed to be good for ya also, this is on my to make list even though taters runs my sugar up, will need to work xtra hard to burn some calories lol

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Kale is supposed to be good for ya also, this is on my to make list even though taters runs my sugar up, will need to work xtra hard to burn some calories lol
I highly suggest you sub the potatoes for cauliflower whole florets and stalk pieces u cut ourself from a head of cauliflower (or just buy frozen florets). The beauty of cauliflower is how it absorbs all those other flavors and is pretty close to feeling like potatoes minus the starchiness :)

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
I made this last week, also. Used hot Italian sausage and 1/2 t. red pepper flakes. Guess I don't have your constitution, Steve; it was a little spicy even for me. Still delicious, however! I will just tone down the future versions a bit.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I made this last week, also. Used hot Italian sausage and 1/2 t. red pepper flakes. Guess I don't have your constitution, Steve; it was a little spicy even for me. Still delicious, however! I will just tone down the future versions a bit.
Thanks! You could probably leave the red pepper flakes out. And still have enough heat.

Inscrutable

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2019
Thats my go-to soup when I’m dragged to the Olive Garden, but was always sure it could be made better ... think yours (and with some other comments) checks that box.

Like!

mosparky

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 11, 2015
I made it (sorta) last weekend. Somehow I overlooked the red pepper flakes. It really needed some. The recipe doesn't say hot ITALIAN sausage. I used a different hot sausage (kinda Tasso flavored). It wasn't hot enough to overide the absence of red pepper flake. The potatoes just pulled the flavor outta most of the other ingredients. Bacon was texture only and not one I needed.
Still an excellent soup !! I'm gonna try again with Hot Italian and the Pepper flakes, but save the bacon for breakfast.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I made it (sorta) last weekend. Somehow I overlooked the red pepper flakes. It really needed some. The recipe doesn't say hot ITALIAN sausage. I used a different hot sausage (kinda Tasso flavored). It wasn't hot enough to overide the absence of red pepper flake. The potatoes just pulled the flavor outta most of the other ingredients. Bacon was texture only and not one I needed.
Still an excellent soup !! I'm gonna try again with Hot Italian and the Pepper flakes, but save the bacon for breakfast.
My bad I guess. I assumed Zuppa Toscana was a give away to the sausage required. As far as the bacon goes. That's up to you. And thank you for the compliment!

mosparky

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 11, 2015
No worries, I got tunnel vison when I read Potato and Sausage. I saw the Zuppa Tuscana and turned a blind eye.

TNJAKE

Master of the Pit
Joined Nov 26, 2019
Well this sure as hell didn't disappoint. Thanks for the recipe steve. This is going in our permanent winter rotation. For those who haven't tried it you are missing out. Perfect heat and oh so flavorful
IMG_20201101_191600.jpg
IMG_20201101_191759~2.jpg

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.