Pot Of Pinto's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I grew up eating pinto beans, But I still cant make like my mom did.

I change mine up at times and add ground beef and hatch chili.

pchgb1.jpg

pchgb.jpg

pchgb2.jpg

pchgb3.jpg

bpgb77.jpg

I didnt add any tomato so I needed some acidity with some lime juice.
pbgbhch.jpg

And a beer.
sbock.jpg

Ground beef and hatch chiles??!!?!?!? Thats new to me. But I will be trying it.
Add a pan of cornbread and I'd be a happy fat boy!!

Jim

Awesome! That is a great beer cook! I like it when I have ground beef and beans, but it always seems to be at pot lucks, I’ll have to give this a go! Thank you for sharing

Reactions: JLeonard
I do all my pintos in the Instant Pot now - no soaking, just throw in the pot with water and seasonings, run at high pressure for an hour and they're ready to go.

I took a pot to the family reunion a few years ago cooked with a ham shank and ham that I had vacuum packed and frozen as leftovers from a ham I got on sale this time of year and it was a huge hit - the kinfolk all look for them now so I try to do them every year. Got the 99 cent/lb ham in the fridge now waiting for supper.

Reactions: JLeonard
Mmmmm, beans and I have had a long love affair.
I can't remember a pot of Pintos that I didn't lust after.
Not to mention all the other beans.

I like to roast a tomato or two, onions, chiles and a few cloves of garlic beforehand in the bean pot, then cook them in the beans until they melt into it.
Along with them goes some pork, salt pork, hocks, jowls, CSRs or whatever, and that ends up shredded at the end till succulent slivers of swine are everywhere.

Looks awesome my friend! Just a side note… my Mom is a phenomenal baker… I am serious… I can stand by her and do the exact same thing… and it never comes out as good as hers! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sounds like your Mom had “the touch” as well!

BTW, like your brew choice…. Have a 6’er in the fridge right now! Gonna finally break in the PB griddle!

Looks good Rick. I often add ground meat and green or red Chile. It’s a thing here for sure. Only thing different sometimes is to take a potato masher to the beans once soft but before adding the meat. Mash the beans just a bit as to break maybe 1/3 of them, then add the meat and Chile. This will make a better bean flavor and thicken them up and make them just a bit creamier. It’s nice once and a while.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks good Rick. I often add ground meat and green or red Chile. It’s a thing here for sure. Only thing different sometimes is to take a potato masher to the beans once soft but before adding the meat. Mash the beans just a bit as to break maybe 1/3 of them, then add the meat and Chile. This will make a better bean flavor and thicken them up and make them just a bit creamier. It’s nice once and a while.
This makes me shudder, lol.
When I sort beans, I pull out every bean that is small, split, damaged or I don't like, because I want every single bean to have the perfect texture. To intentionally smash up fresh beans... My word! 🤣

Beans looked great BGKY! Our bean supply barely got us through lent this year, only have about 1 lb of our 40 lb bag left. Going to be a long wait till we get new-crop beans this fall. 😑

If you love pinto beans and are buying them from a grocery store, try to find a farm that grows then this fall. You won't regret it.

Looks delicious! I make a pretty good pot of beans or so I'm told. Few things is need some fat and some bones for gelatin. That why I like using ham hocks or ham bone. Never boil just simmer and don't add salt until end. Boiling and salt will make them tough. Lots of pepper. They should be tender around 1.5 hours. I never eat them until the next day, so much better after sitting over night in the fridge. After in the fridge they should be gelatinized.

Last edited:
Looks delicious! I make a pretty good pot of beans or so I'm told. Few things is need some fat and some bones for gelatin. That why I like using ham hocks. Never boil just simmer and don't add salt until end. Lots of pepper. They should be tender around 1.5 hours. I never eat them until the next day. After in the fridge they should be gelatinized.
Interesting! What's the right way to reheat after the rest in the fridge?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky