Post smoke equipment clean up question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah. That's just seasoning!
Seriously though, you will find your smoker doesn't need to be spotless. Just judicious use of foil and foil pans and most of the work is done.
Soak the grates in a tote or tubs like the busboy uses. I like lemon Joy and add a teaspoon of TSP. Hardly any scrubbing needed.
TSP?  Can't find that acronym anywhere
confused.gif

TSP?  Can't find that acronym anywhere
confused.gif
TSP - Trisodium Phosphate.

It is a really amazing solvent. You buy it in powdered form, mix it with water, and then use the resulting solution for cleaning. According to the link I provided, there are some issues with environmental "friendliness," but I think most of those concerns come from the phosphate which, as you probably know, is one of the things which contribute to algae blooms in freshwater lakes and streams, something which led to the elimination of phosphates from most kitchen soap and detergent. So, if you live next to a lake, you might want to take that into consideration.

I would also caution about using it without using rubber gloves. I was in the merchant marine back in 1970 and we used this stuff to clean decks and bulwarks prior to painting. I was wearing some old Converse canvas tennis shoes and got this stuff splashed all over the shoes, with the stuff seeping down through my socks onto my feet. Boy, did my feet ever get red and sore!

I bet it would work great on the smoker, and I think I'll try some the next time I need to clean. I'm kicking myself upside the head for not remembering to try this before now.

BTW, I use it as part of my "secret" window glass cleaning solution. I take a bucket of water (about 1.5 gallons) and add 1T of vinegar, 1T of ammonia, and about 1/4 teaspoon of TSP. My water is already soft, but if it were hard, I'd add 1/2 teaspoon of TSP.

Last edited:
Thank you, sir.  I'll do a Google and find out where I can get some and give it a try.  I have a pool and am very familiar with phosphates and how much algae likes it.  It's what algae feeds on.

rd

Another tip for clean up of grease. Use foil or foil pans at the bottom of the smoker and put some "Ultrasurb" or other grease absorbing product that you buy at the auto parts store into the pan. Read the label, be sure to buy one that is not harmful to animals. OK for animals - ok for you. I have been using this type of product for years, it doesn't add any taste or smell to your final products. The grease clean up can go into the trash can without making a big mess.  

I own a Masterbuilt 30 Inch Smoker with a Window in the door.  I always wrap my grease tray, the bottom, top only with some wide Tin Foil and poke a hole where the corresponding hole in the tray is.  I also cover the upper water tray, both sides with Tin Foil.  I then a narrow tin foil sheet to put over the smoke box, the area just above where you ash tray sits when inserted.  It wraps around the back, being careful not to let it touch the heating coils and wraps over about 2 inches past the ash tray handle.  Doing all this makes for very easy clean up.  One other hint I learned from Masterbuilt themselves, no part of a Masterbuilt smoker is Dishwasher safe, so never put the trays, or any other part of your smoker in a dishwasher.

As far as cleaning the box, i use a pail, put some warm water in it, some Dawn dish soap and wipe out the cabinet with a dish rag, to remove chunks and grease and the door, because it has door, I clean it real good.

Last edited:

Another tip for clean up of grease. Use foil or foil pans at the bottom of the smoker and put some "Ultrasurb" or other grease absorbing product that you buy at the auto parts store into the pan. Read the label, be sure to buy one that is not harmful to animals. OK for animals - ok for you. I have been using this type of product for years, it doesn't add any taste or smell to your final products. The grease clean up can go into the trash can without making a big mess.  
I've used kitty litter in the bottom tray of my NG grill (Turbo) but didn't think of that for my smoker.  Great idea.  I always have a problem with liquids....not down the kitchen drain and don't want the mess in my garbage bin.  Kitty litter will solve both issues.

Thanks.

I own a Masterbuilt 30 Inch Smoker with a Window in the door.  I always wrap my grease tray, the bottom, top only with some wide Tin Foil and poke a hole where the corresponding hole in the tray is.  I also cover the upper water tray, both sides with Tin Foil.  I then a narrow tin foil sheet to put over the smoke box, the area just above where you ash tray sits when inserted.  It wraps around the back, being careful not to let it touch the heating coils and wraps over about 2 inches past the ash tray handle.  Doing all this makes for very easy clean up.  One other hint I learned from Masterbuilt themselves, no part of a Masterbuilt smoker is Dishwasher safe, so never put the trays, or any other part of your smoker in a dishwasher.

As far as cleaning the box, i use a pail, put some warm water in it, some Dawn dish soap and wipe out the cabinet with a dish rag, to remove chunks and grease and the door, because it has door, I clean it real good.
Oops!  I've already put the bottom tray and the water tray in the dishwasher...plus the racks. I line both trays with foil, but I can't see how it would be an issue.  It's not like they have a non-stick coating, but thanks for the info.

I do things very similar to you (covering the trays), but haven't covered the ash tray.  Since I got the AMNPS, I haven't used the chips so wasn't worried about the tray, but the shield above the heating elements are getting some grease/liquids, so I'll use a small piece of foil.

Oops!  I've already put the bottom tray and the water tray in the dishwasher...plus the racks. I line both trays with foil, but I can't see how it would be an issue.  It's not like they have a non-stick coating, but thanks for the info.

I do things very similar to you (covering the trays), but haven't covered the ash tray.  Since I got the AMNPS, I haven't used the chips so wasn't worried about the tray, but the shield above the heating elements are getting some grease/liquids, so I'll use a small piece of foil.
I once put my racks in my dishwasher, it stripped the coating off the racks, I now have them hanging in my shed, rusted bad.  Masterbuilt was nice enough to send me another set of racks.  The length of foil I use over the smoke box, I cut about ten inches to foot long long and make sure, at the back of the Cabinet, this foil foes not touch the element, as being a Major Household Appliance Repairman, I can tell you, it will short out the Element if is touching it.

Reactions: randyrayd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky