Post Oak Pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kutch98

Original poster
May 15, 2021
Where can I get some? How are they?
A local BBQ jointed named Mad Jacks in Cloudcroft, NM used post oak from Lockhart, TX (he’s from there) and I be got chunks for my electric smoker, trying to find pellets now. I see HEB sells them, but I’m 100+ miles from the nearest one. There is in Academy sports about 90 miles away that has them, but I’d almost prefer to just order online vs driving to get them.

I got Lumberjack post oak pellets from Dick's at the Rual King price which is 1/2 off of what Dick's sells them for.

Reactions: kutch98
I just ordered 60lbs of pellets (pecan, hickory and apple), of Trager pellets' today from Amazon. I have always bought from A-MAZE-N, but the seem to be having trouble maintaining stock. Its like lumber I guess. Cloud Croft is where the term "God's Country" must have originated. In the dictionary under 'Serenity' is a picture of a blanket of fresh snow covering Cloud Croft. If I could have made a living there I would have moved there and never left! Of course this was like 40 years ago, I know it can't have changed too much. Just a thought, if there is a tractor supply, equine bedding is pure corn cob pellets. 10.00 for 100 lbs. Well I just checked, and they have swapped manufacturers and now have pine pellets, you don't want to smoke with pine.

Last edited:
There is a Dicks an hour from me, maybe I’ll check there. If not, just drive to El Paso to Academy. I’d hate to go look at fishing gear too. 😂

I’m 90 miles from the Texas border. But I’m 252 miles from the nearest HEB.
I tried to order through Academy but it said not available for delivery. Guess I’ll just drive down.

I guarantee you can't tell the difference between food smoked with post oak vs white oak vs red oak, no less in pellet form. Just buy some 100% oak pellets from Lumberjack or Bear Mountain. Post oak is some Aaron Franklin nonsense. Nothing special at all about it.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Real wood post oak definitely tastes different than other oaks. But agreed you won’t notice it in pellet form. Aaron Franklin isn’t the first to popularize post oak that’s kind of a weird thing to say. It’s been a staple of Texas bbq for a century.

Reactions: kutch98
Real wood post oak definitely tastes different than other oaks. But agreed you won’t notice it in pellet form. Aaron Franklin isn’t the first to popularize post oak that’s kind of a weird thing to say. It’s been a staple of Texas bbq for a century.

Because it's extremely common in TX. Like hickory in the Carolinas. But nationally, no one was looking for post oak specifically until he came along and made a big deal about it. And no, you can't taste the difference between oak varieties. You might be able to smell a little difference while it's burning, but there ain't no way you can taste the difference on the meat. If you think you can, that's just the placebo effect.

I taste the difference between white oak and post oak. They taste quite a bit different to be honest. Both are fine and I don’t think one is better than the other but they definitely taste different unless you are burning a dirty fire.

Reactions: BT_TX
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky