post oak, close alternative.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
meat guy cut me a couple of measly points and i want to do burnt ends for superbowl. down here in Miami there isn't any post oak. we also don't have academy sports. so what's a decent sub for post
oak chunks to add to my gravity 560? thanks
gra IMG-3217.JPG vity 560?

Reactions: JLeonard
meat guy cut me a couple of measly points and i want to do burnt ends for superbowl. down here in Miami there isn't any post oak. we also don't have academy sports. so what's a decent sub for post
oak chunks to add to my gravity 560? thanks
graView attachment 525187vity 560?
I really like red oak or mesquite on my briskets.

If you have a buckees gas station around they usually have the b and b post oak and mesquite in bags.

Reactions: 912smoker
I've never tried mesquite but do use hickory a good bit.
Any Ace Hardware stores nearby ? They usually keep a good selection in stock

Keith

Any oak is a suitable replacement for post oak. Mesquite is definitely a much stronger and far different flavor. Not saying good or bad, just different. I like to toss a little cherry in with the oak for color

Any oak is a suitable replacement for post oak. Mesquite is definitely a much stronger and far different flavor. Not saying good or bad, just different. I like to toss a little cherry in with the oak for color
Haha, definitely a different flavor. I just like it a lot!

Reactions: jcam222
thanks all,
I think by the time i get through the pan/sauce stage, my hickory apple blend will barely be noticable. it does give me a reason to tho' a little cherry in there.

thanks all,
I think by the time i get through the pan/sauce stage, my hickory apple blend will barely be noticable. it does give me a reason to tho' a little cherry in there.
Just add more hickory in the charcoal mix. And
start out with smaller pieces in the ash bin to hit it early.

Keith

thanks guys,
if i weer doing a packer or flat for slicing I'd get whippy on this one, but since the ends are going to be swimming in goodness eventually, I might just throw some chips in the ash basket of the 560 to add to the profile. maybe cherry just for S&G since i 've never used it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky