Possum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roller

Smoking Guru
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 10, 2010
N.E. Louisiana
Has anyone ever smoke a Possum ? I have one that I want to smoke just looking for some idea like wheather to brine or not and what kind of brine...I have pics..

Last edited:
I've had possum many years ago, but breaded and fried, not smoked. As I recall it had somewhat of a skunky flavor. Brining might be a good idea to remove some of that flavor. Soaking it in buttermilk for a few hours might help also.

I think its the fat that has the taste you ar talking about and I have removed most of that.

icon_cool.gif

I have never tried it but I'm in fla so we have a bunch of them here. So give it a try and let us know maybe we all will soon be walking the roads for the possum road kill.

LOL this one was not road kill it had been eating out of a bag of chicken food for about a month..I am goin g to do it after my Christmas trip.
7d74fe6f_turtle007.jpg

I'm Going Out On a Limb Here and Guessing This is a Southern Thing?

Roller,

Let us know how it is.

I agree with Athabaskar on the brining.

I was gonna tell you to make sure he's dead, but he seems to have lost his head over the whole situation.

I had one in a trap when I was a kid.

When I approached him, I noticed flies were walking around on his eyeballs!---Dead Right ???

I grabbed the trap chain & started to walk away, and he started climbing up the freakin' chain with the feet that weren't in the trap!!!!!

Scared the crap out of me. I was just about to sling him over my shoulder !!!

Talk about playin' Possum !

No I didn't eat him.

Bear

Last edited:
I will have Q-Views......Maybe a Racoon will be next...

Last edited:
good luck with that road kill,    hope you do some heavy drinking for that smoke!!!   doesnt look like too much meat on him should let him graze some more of that chicken food too fatten him up

Roller,

Let us know how it is.

I agree with Athabaskar on the brining.

I was gonna tell you to make sure he's dead, but he seems to have lost his head over the whole situation.

I had one in a trap when I was a kid.

When I approached him, I noticed flies were walking around on his eyeballs!---Dead Right ???

I grabbed the trap chain & started to walk away, and he started climbing up the freakin' chain with the feet that weren't in the trap!!!!!

Scared the crap out of me. I was just about to sling him over my shoulder !!!

Talk about playin' Possum !

No I didn't eat him.

Bear
ROFLMAO!! Thank's Bear, I needed a good laugh today!
biggrin.gif
 I could just picture that one in my mind heh-heh.

Reminds me of a time I took a gal camping and we caught a bunch of catfish. I had them be-headed, skinned, gutted, and soaking in some milk, she went to grab one and toss it in the flour for coating and it twitched! Needless to say that particular piece of catfish got some terric hang time before it came back down to earth..... and I think every camper at the lake heard her scream. Ahhh.... good times!

Ok there's something I haven't tried.

I think the 2 most unusual things I ate was raw eel and Rattlesnake.

Roller, If I would have known, my neighbor and I shoot one last week. He was aggravating the other neighbors dogs and she didn't want it to bite her dog. So she asked if we would take care of it. I think it was the biggest possum I have ever seen, it must have been at least 8-10lbs. 

Shoneyboy there are plenty around here without taking a road trip..lol...thanks anyway..been awhile since I have been down your way...

Roller,

Make sure you cut it up a little before you smoke it, to make sure he isn't playing possum, or you could open the smoker door, and he'll just get up & walk on home!!

Don't ever trust them little $%^&*(#$%^&).

Bear

I remember growing up my dad making possum stew. I'm sure I ate it then, but couldn't bring myself to do it today. Let alone clean one or smoke it. They just look so darn creepy and dirty to me. Kinda like my ex husband.
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky