Possum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
 Squirrel Did you skin and dress him...lol

Thats funny Bear !!! I am thinking about making pulled possum with it...

Thanks for that story Bear, it made my day.

Roller,

Let us know how it is.

I agree with Athabaskar on the brining.

I was gonna tell you to make sure he's dead, but he seems to have lost his head over the whole situation.

I had one in a trap when I was a kid.

When I approached him, I noticed flies were walking around on his eyeballs!---Dead Right ???

I grabbed the trap chain & started to walk away, and he started climbing up the freakin' chain with the feet that weren't in the trap!!!!!

Scared the crap out of me. I was just about to sling him over my shoulder !!!

Talk about playin' Possum !

No I didn't eat him.

Bear

Roller,

Make sure you cut it up a little before you smoke it, to make sure he isn't playing possum, or you could open the smoker door, and he'll just get up & walk on home!!

Don't ever trust them little $%^&*(#$%^&).

Bear
You've got that right. A couple of weeks ago my golden busted through the dog door going ballistic. She had heard a possum on the patio. I followed her out and the possum was laying next to a potted plant. I dragged the dog away, which was pretty easy. She doesn't like dead things so much. Went back about ten minutes later and the possum had gone away, probably to make more possums.

when i lived in south east Kentucky, i used to hunt all the time and put whatever i caught in the freezer.

i have eat squirle,coon,rabbit and groundhog but never a opossum, i always thought they were too nasty of an animal.

but then again i like pork and chicken

when i lived in south east Kentucky, i used to hunt all the time and put whatever i caught in the freezer.

i have eat squirle,coon,rabbit and groundhog but never a opossum, i always thought they were too nasty of an animal.

but then again i like pork and chicken
I agree about how nasty the little suckers can be.

Years ago I watched a movie about some mad scientist who was doing experiments on animals on a scary island. He turned some small animals into wild boar sized beasts. The people had to escape from the island under 50 gallon drums that had been welded together, while these beasts were trying to stick their heads under the barrels to tear their legs off. When I was face to face with a snarling pizzed off possum, he looked just like one of the beasts in that movie----A dead ringer! Might even have been a possum they used in filming the close-ups.

Bear

Boy am I glad I'm a Damn  Yankee...
icon_mrgreen.gif

chopper, ive eaten squirell, rabbit,ect. but not coon, is it any good? i would like to try it as we have a ton of them around here. 

as for the possum ive never even seen one up here but i reckon i would try it. knew a guy that ate a prairie dog once,said it wasnt too bad.

i guess it depends how hungry a fella is!

Coon is really good, kind of a dark greasy meat but good. lol

I've not tried possum... have you smoked it yet Roller?

cowgirl,i know its kinda off the subject here,but how do you prepare your coon? we have a few around here i would like to dispatch.

i see your from oklahoma,they got any possum down there?

cowgirl,i know its kinda off the subject here,but how do you prepare your coon? we have a few around here i would like to dispatch.

i see your from oklahoma,they got any possum down there?

java, We  skinned them, soak in salt water overnight if possible (seems like we soak everything in salt water lol )   Then marinade or season and smoke. They are pretty greasy and the meat reminds me of goose meat.

The best coon I've had was in an undergound pit.
biggrin.gif

There are possums here but I've not tried one.

If you smoke one, take pics for me!

cowgirl, i will have to try smokin a coon now. i think i will go buy a camera so i can post pics!! i will let you know how it goes

java

we would soak the coon in salt water for a minimum of 2 hours ( the longer the better), then boil it in water for about 20 min.

then i pull it out of the water and dry it off, then dredge it in seasoned flour and finish it in a frying pan

make gravy with the with the drippings

for dinner make mashed potatoes

for breakfast make bisquits and fry some eggs-----one of the best breakfast i ever had 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky