Possibly a new smoking buddy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man he looks awesome. We had a half German shepherd half husky. Really good dog! Hope it works out. The part wolf part is pretty badass too!

Reactions: gmc2003
I was thinking about you and Mr. Skidmark the other day . Wondering if you were about ready . Kind of figured it was about time .
quickly became part of the pack.
If you understand that part of it , then you won't have any trouble . To many people don't , and the animal places them selves above human members . That's when the problems can start .
Good luck . I bet he fits right in .

This is Gunner. He's a foster pup that's had a fairly unstable life so far. Gunner is two years old and he's a mix of Husky, Malamute, German Shepard, and Wolf(about 18% according to DNA testing). He'll be living with us for a two week trial to see if he likes us and we like him. So far so good. After the two week trial if all goes well Gunner becomes a permanent part of our family. These are some stock photos of Gunner from the humane society. I'll get some shots of him in our backyard soon as things settle down.

View attachment 678674 View attachment 678675

Here he is next to one of the humane society workers.
View attachment 678676

Fingers crossed,

Chris
Rescues are the best dogs. Those legs are absolutely wolf!

Man he is a pretty boy. I look at our pound pups every week but they usually only have pits and chihuahuas. My last pound pup was a German Shepard/boxer mix. He was a great dog. Very high energy until about 4 years old.

Beautiful dog, Chris. Show him love, affection, and patience and you'll have a loyal companion for life. As Kinky Friedman said, "Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.”

Man he is a pretty boy. I look at our pound pups every week but they usually only have pits and chihuahuas. My last pound pup was a German Shepard/boxer mix. He was a great dog. Very high energy until about 4 years old.
We are cat people but I remember the few times we went to the shelters to get a cat the dogs where almost all pits.

Nice looking pup, looks more than 18% wolf to me, hope it works out and he does not use the beer pole like a fire hydrant...lol
Thanks Cliff, I agree he looks more wolf, but that's what the DNA tests showed.
Call me Chris, Chris. I love dogs and can't imagine life without them. Never had a new dog. Watched many a litter born in an old box in the kitchen as a kid, but those got farmed out. Life sucks sometimes but dogs make it better.
Will do Chris. I couldn't imagine giving away a litter of pups. I'm just glad we never had to cross that bridge.

Great looking dog. So many people dont spend the time during the first 2 years they need to. Socialization and being a leader is so important during this time frame but not to say it cant still be done. I wish you the best of luck.
So true Brian, and with a hybrid it's even more so. They have a mind of their own. We'll never break him of his natural instincts but we should be able to eventually get some control over them.

Chris

Pretty dog for sure! Hope things work out well for you all!

Ryan
Well if last night was any indication we are well on our way to becoming best buddies. Gunner hopped up on our bed and snuggled in-between the wife and I. Stayed there all night long.
Beautiful animal!
Hope y'all are a match made in heaven.

He's gonna be a handful, high energy and high instinct.
Appreciate it John. High energy is an understatement. I've got 3/4s of an acre of my yard fenced in. We're gonna keep him on a long lease until he/we feel comfortable letting him loose. Once he understands that this is his territory then we'll let him off the lease, but in the meantime it's kind of rough for an old fat guy to run around and keep up with an ambitious two year old.
Dogs absolutely do make life better. As Roger Caras said, "Dogs are not our whole life. but they make our lives whole."
LOL and true Charles. I find myself talking to him like he's a human. Gunner makes the house a home for sure.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
Good looking dog! I hope he works out
Thanks Jeff, I'm hoping so too. So far so good.
Man he looks awesome. We had a half German shepherd half husky. Really good dog! Hope it works out. The part wolf part is pretty badass too!
Appreciate it. I think the part wolf prevented a lot of folks from adopting him. He was at the humane society for a little over 3 months, and they were getting ready to ship him off to a wolf hybrid rescue.
We are cat people but I remember the few times we went to the shelters to get a cat the dogs where almost all pits.
I see a lot of bull dog mixes around here. The lab/retriever mixes get snatched up pretty quick.

Chris

I was thinking about you and Mr. Skidmark the other day . Wondering if you were about ready . Kind of figured it was about time .

If you understand that part of it , then you won't have any trouble . To many people don't , and the animal places them selves above human members . That's when the problems can start .
Good luck . I bet he fits right in .
Thanks Rich. I still think about skid a lot. We weren't sure we were ready, but my daughter knew we were.
Rescues are the best dogs. Those legs are absolutely wolf!
LOL and thanks SM. Those legs enable him to stand on all fours and swipe things off our kitchen counter, and believe me he's F'in quick. We also found out we can't keep dirty dishes in the sink because he'll get up on his hind legs and clean the plates.
Like chilerelleno chilerelleno said, I think he's gonna be an energetic one. Hope it works for you !
Thanks Winter. He tuckers me out when I bring him outside for his workouts.
A lot of boxer mixes here not to many pits(that I see). Shepard/boxer mix that's unique. Did he have the head of the boxer and the body of the Shepard or visa-versa?

Everybody needs a smoke buddy! Hope it works out.
Thanks inda. I gave him some pulled pork this morning while I was making my lunches for work, and he gave me a "That's all look with the big sad eyes". It was hard not giving him anymore, but I want him to eat his dog food.

Beautiful dog, Chris. Show him love, affection, and patience and you'll have a loyal companion for life. As Kinky Friedman said, "Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.”
Appreciate it Charles. Believe me he'll get all the love'in he can handle. He's not much of a tail wagger yet, but he love to snuggle up close to you with his big head and have the back of his ears scratches.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky