Portions...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olddawg

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Conover, NC
How many pounds of raw pork butt do I need to smoke for 25 adults.  All of them are pretty "healthy" eaters...  I'll be serving pulled pork sandwiches, Dutch's beans, potato salad, and coleslaw.

If doing bone in pork butts figure on getting a yield of about 50% of raw weight. I find if people make their own sandwiches they use about 1/3 lb per sandwich on a normal sized bun. If your serving you might be able to keep it closer to 1/4 lb per sandwich. If you started out with 16 lbs of butts it should yield about 8 lbs and should get you 24-25 sandwiches but that would only be 1 per person.

The average is 1/3 lb. smoked pulled pork per sandwich. Its a good size portion for "Healthy Eaters". 25 people divided by 1/3 lb. is approximately 8 1/2 lbs. of smoked pulled pork. With a 50% yield your looking at about 17 lbs of raw pork butt. I would probably do a little more to cover the healthy eaters and make sure there were some leftovers because I don't like to run out when I am serving others. The sides of course will help cut down on the amount used for sandwiches. You may also get some people that won't put it on a bun. Also depends if you are talking all adults or Adults and children. Good luck!

If I figured 1 sandwich for a lot of my company I'd be in deep do cause they'd still be hungry. Personally when I smoke for friends I figure closer to 1/2 lb finished pork per person and that way I never have run out. Sometimes I'll give some people a doggy bag to take home if there's enough left and that never makes them sad
biggrin.gif

I'm thinkin' I'm gonna do the 1/2 pound per person...  Thanks' for the input.  I'll post a q-view of the finished product.

icon_cool.gif

You be safe with the 1/2 lb per person. You don't want to be sitting there with a bunch of hungry folks. Remember it's quite a complement to the chef when they want more of your food. So keep them happy and serve them all they want. You can always freeze it and re-heat it. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky