Portabella pulled pork stack with jalapeno slaw and hatch chili cheddar biscuits

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Title tells you the end game lol. Last week I grabbed 6 nice pork shoulders for $0.99 / lbs. I am on staycation next week so figured I would smoke them all and do some drop offs to friends and family. Came across a recipe awhile back from Jess Pyles for a jalapeno coleslaw and topped it off with my keto cheddar biscuits with canned hot hatch chilis.

Here are the butts all rubbed up and ready to roll. I ordinarily rub the night before but for these I just did about 1 1/2 before hitting the smoker. I used TulsaJeff TulsaJeff pork rub with the exception being I subbed out the brown sugar to Swerve Brown. Worked great. I just used the natural meat juice and a little olive oil spray in bare spots for binder. They were trimmed down to very little fat cap but I did score was there and rub some into the crevices.
butts ready to smoke.jpg

These went into my 270 KC smoker with B&B Hickory Lump and some nice double fist sized chunks of hickory added periodically. I have been turboing butts at 275F coasting up to 300F a lot the last year or so but for these I had time so settled in at 250F for the cook. Wrapped around 170F with the exception of the small one that was ready to pull when I put the rest in foil pans with broth from the drip pan. I ran a full pan of Minors pork broth under them and refreshed it twice. I thought the shoulders might be a tad drier than the higher "butt" cut but man these were juicy as heck!! I tell you what I think I am going back to the longer cook at 250F based on this result. Bones slide and it darn near just fell apart for pulling. I usually mix the broth pan back in the next day but this is so moist I am just packing it up in containers as a side dip au just for people. I got these two full hotel pans and a third pan I dropped to a neighbor fresh out of the smoker.
pulled pork .jpg

While it was smoking I tackled some sides. First up was the Jalapeno slaw.

Ingredients
  • Slaw
    • 1/2 large head of green cabbage
    • 1/2 large head of red cabbage
    • 2 red bell peppers slice thin cut into bite size pieces
    • 4 green onions diced
    • 3-4 large jalapenos seeded and minced
  • Dressing
    • 1 cup Dukes mayo ( is there any other lol)
    • 4 tbsp spicy brown mustard
    • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    • 3 tbsp sweetener (I used a new sugar sub we like called Allulose)
    • 1/2 tsp celery seed
    • 1/2 tsp cumin
    • 1/4 tsp cayenne ( I subbed 1/2 tsp of homemade jalapeno powder my buddy gave me)
    • 1/4 tsp black pepper.
I ended up making an extra batch of dressing as I like mine good and creamy. Saved some of the sauce to dip who knows what in. It is tasty! The slaw is nice and creamy with a good sweetness but a good hot pop on the finish.

slaw 3.jpg

Made up some of my keto cheddar biscuits with hot hatch peppers. I usually use canned minced jalapeno but saw hatch so used them instead
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter,
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/3 cup of coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 cup of shredded cheddar
  • 5 oz. can of diced hatch chili drained very well.
Melt the butter and whip the eggs together, mix all dry ingredients together first and then combine all ingredients. Add about 2/3 of the peppers and mix it all up. Top them with the remaining peppers before baking. Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes.

cheddar biscuits.JPG

Here is some plated up for supper tonight. Pulled pork stacked nice and high on a roasted portabella and topped with a shredded 18 month old Australian sharp white cheddar. Drizzled in a bbq based off chef jimmyj chef jimmyj Lexington dip recipe. I do add extra ketchup and a lot of extra Brown swerve. Makes a nice vinegary bbq sauce that everyone loves on the pork. Served up with the slaw and a biscuit. The tart bbq is an awesome contrast to the sharpness of the cheese. Overall this one was a winner according to my wife. I also made an incredible keto "Apple Crumble Pie with caramel sauce. I will post that up in a bit in the dessert thread. I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle because for anyone keto, low carb or diabetic it is MONEY!!

plated 1.jpg

Well that's another weekend cooking wrap!! Hope you enjoyed looking as much as I enjoyed cooking and eating it!! I have a lot of leftovers if not and you are quite welcome to try some :)

Was thinking like Chile! I'll take a plate of Biscuits and some Honey Butter and I'm good! Ok, i would need Coffee...Nice work...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Geez Jeff what a beautiful plate of food! This was the first thing I saw waking up. Talk about hunger pains!

Just throw everything in a giant clamshell container. I want it ALL!!! Nice job.

Wow Jeff, you just continue to amaze. That all looks incredible buddy. I could actually make a meal out of the biscuits and the slaw, but a little of that pork wouldn't hurt a bit. Seriously man, that's some awesome looking food and yet another breathtaking presentation!!

Robert

tenor.gif

I feel like this is Jeff every time he puts a cook out on the forum. Seriously whole plate looks awesome man. I'm stealing the slaw recipe. Keep em comin!

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky