Porkapalooza Indian Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It’s been too long since I’ve had Indian food. I ate Indian often when I traveled weekly up to Brampton and Toronto ON. Around my rural area you either drive a couple hours or make your own lol. I often will do butter chicken when I get the Indian flavor urge but wanted something different. Went with pork vindaloo and some tandoori spiced pork belly bites. Getting the part started first was cubing up about 3 - 3 1/2 lbs of this pork butt.
4DA327FE-F757-417D-B5FF-78573DFEBAAF.jpeg
5B50BA76-0030-43D5-B405-0FFE240B753F.jpeg
Next for the pork belly. It will really add some richness to the vindaloo.
A1E37854-24CA-4E26-B00B-7F97D5955777.jpeg
Cubed about 1 1/2 lbs in smaller pieces for the vindaloo.
9A71FCAB-F5AF-4D02-9A9A-CC0075ABCAA4.jpeg
Cut the rest in nice big cubes forcthe pork belly bites.
6F249CDF-E8D6-4F63-BFBF-37C1CEC4E83C.jpeg
For the pork belly bites I hit them with a commercial tandoori masala dry spice blend and into the frig overnight.
11C1A1B6-46FA-4BA3-BC28-961132DD2940.jpeg
For the vindaloo time to make the marinade paste. 5 T Kashmiri chili powder, 2 1/2 t ginger powder, 2 T Splenda, 2t cumin, 1/2t black pepper, 1t turmeric, 1t ground clove, 1/2 t cinnamon, 2t garlic powder and about 3 t salt. The Kashmiri chile is really key to the dish
40ED4C5A-217F-412B-918C-7011333A400D.jpeg
Now the key component that makes vindaloo what it is…. Vinegar. 1 cup of white vinegar mixed with spices to form the marinade paste. Vindaloo has it roots in Portugal where they used spiced vinegar mixes to immerse meats for longer preservation. They brought it to India where it was made into this dish.
D119B599-297E-4860-8C76-27CF5C4D78F5.jpeg
The meat mixed thoroughly with the marinade and into the refrigerator overnight.
49795C45-BFB2-4710-BFEC-4160D8D7AE1B.jpeg
Roll the clock forward to this morning. First up quartered and thinly sliced 2 onions. Sautéed in a bit of avocado oil until translucent.
375C49DA-92DF-4F52-B15E-F1A2FBC9ABC3.jpeg
Meat, onions and 5 cups of water added to the pot. Brought to a boil and rapid simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until pork is tender. When it’s ready I do something most recipes don’t call for there is a tremendous amount of rendered fat and this is critical to the flavor of the dish I hate it continually pooling on the top though I remove the meat with a slotted spoon, add roughly 1 1/2 t Glucomannon which I premix in about 1/2 cup cold water I hit that with an immersion blender to fully emulsify / incorporate the fat then I add the meat back in It works flawlessly
F1F37851-48C5-4372-B8AC-2D0CEF993B54.jpeg
It was super windy out and I had to keep an eye on the vindaloo so did the pork belly bites in the oven. They were baked about 2 1/2 hours at 275F and spritzed a couple times with one of my hot sauce browns. I glazed them with a bbq sauce made of sugar free ketchup, multiple spices as well as garam masala and tandoori masala, espresso powder, cola and brown swerve. This was a cook to taste deal as the recipe I started with frankly sucked. Glazed them and baked 15 minutes to set the sauce. Served with cilantro chutney which is a pretty popular Indian condiment. I can share that if anyone wants. Basically a large bunch of cilantro stems and all along with lime juice, a pinch of sweet and salt. I will say this may be my favorite appetizer I’ve ever made. The sweet earthy sauce against the bright citrusy chutney and the rich pork is mind blowing. Here is the pork bite appetizer plated.
81532A2E-DFD1-4577-B879-8B144AE77F9B.jpeg
Here is some of the vindaloo. Nice and spicy with the vinegar tang. I’m tired now so cheating and will serve with some steamed frozen cauliflower rice.
2F1600A6-0627-4080-8A30-611507683775.jpeg
Oh and here’s a shot of more of the pork belly bites.
A78CF149-5D03-474C-A716-27ACB4969745.jpeg
Well that’s a wrap. Time to pass out a few to go containers. Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:
I bet it was all good . Never had anything like that though .
I'd be all over those pork belly bites !
Thanks Rich. Those pork belly bites will become a specialty for me. I was blown away by the flavor combo of the sweetness of sauce vs the chutney. The neighbor couple said it was the best app ever lol.
Oh man the flavors from that half to be good! Another good one Jeff. Going on the list. I got to get to some curry soon.
Thanks Brian. I think this is also considered a type of curry.
You had me at Vindaloo! Nice work bud
I thought I remembered you loved vindaloo! Thanks Jake.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Nice! Now you have me thinking.... Love beef vindaloo. been some time since i made some....

Looks great from here, and I'd be all over those bits.

Point for sure
Chris

I've never had Indian food Jeff but I sure would like sitting down to a dish like that and trying it out! Looks like a meal I could use my chopsticks. RAY

Looks delicious. Great job again.
Thanks for the kind words!
Huge Indian foodie here and that looks top notch! Very nice man…
Right on, such bold flavors. Thanks!
BTW… I’d love some day to add a Tandoor Oven to my cooker collection!
Would be nice. I’ve used my Kamado in a similar fashion for kabobs
Nice! Now you have me thinking.... Love beef vindaloo. been some time since i made some....
Thanks! I’ve done chicken and pork but never beef for vindaloo. I hear that’s big in Australia.
Looks great from here, and I'd be all over those bits.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. The bites were truly phenomenal with the chutney
I've never had Indian food Jeff but I sure would like sitting down to a dish like that and trying it out! Looks like a meal I could use my chopsticks. RAY
Come on over! I think you’d enjoy the flavors.

WOW!! Jeff strikes again. What an amazing array of food. I've only had Indian food a couple of times but loved it and I'm sure it was not nearly as good as what you did. Some outstanding stuff right there my friend.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
WOW!! Jeff strikes again. What an amazing array of food. I've only had Indian food a couple of times but loved it and I'm sure it was not nearly as good as what you did. Some outstanding stuff right there my friend.

Robert
Thanks Robert! I’ll bet you’d was damn tasty too. Have you done butter chicken?
Man that looks great!

Jim
Thank you Jim!
Man, that all looks so good. I really like Indian cuisine, should cook it more often.

View attachment 658254
Thanks! Same here not sure why I don’t do it more often as I love it. Lol I always love the meme pics you post. This one’s hilarious haha

Reactions: motocrash
I gotta admit, I have no experience with Indian food...but if it tastes as good as yours looks, that makes me wanna give it a try! That looks terrific!

Red

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky