Porkapalooza Indian Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I gotta admit, I have no experience with Indian food...but if it tastes as good as yours looks, that makes me wanna give it a try! That looks terrific!

Red
Thanks Red. If you like spicy fragrant food I think you’d like it.
Wow Jeff! That looks incredible and sounds like a lot of fun to make! Beautiful and flavor packed post!
No, unfortunately not. Tracy is allergic to chicken so that's off the table for me.

Robert
Thanks Jed, it is a pretty easy and fun cook. Now Robert you have me wondering if butter chicken would be ok with pork.

Thanks Red. If you like spicy fragrant food I think you’d like it.

Thanks Jed, it is a pretty easy and fun cook. Now Robert you have me wondering if butter chicken would be ok with pork.
I don’t see why you couldn’t substitute a tenderloin medallion? Sound tasty to me!

I don’t see why you couldn’t substitute a tenderloin medallion? Sound tasty to me!
Yep agree and tenderloin would be a perfect choice, good call! I did find a post online where someone did it with pork.

Reactions: bauchjw
Great looking cook. Indian is one of my favorites.

BTW… I’d love some day to add a Tandoor Oven to my cooker collection!
I’ve read some ways to do a makeshift tandoor oven with a clay pot on a smoker/grill. Looks a little janky but I might try someday.

Outstanding! Very nice job with the cook, and a great presentation, as well.

We love Indian food at our house, and prepare it several times a month. The last time I did Vindaloo was around 3 weeks ago and it was prepared in a manner similar to yours with one exception. I was in a ethnic meat market and they happened to have fresh goat meat available so I bought 3 lbs. for the Vindaloo, and it turned out great.

The pork belly bites look fantastic as well. I have a recipe for Vindaloo BBQ sauce that an Indian chef gave me quite some time ago that might go well with those.

Again, great job.

Reactions: jcam222
Outstanding! Very nice job with the cook, and a great presentation, as well.

We love Indian food at our house, and prepare it several times a month. The last time I did Vindaloo was around 3 weeks ago and it was prepared in a manner similar to yours with one exception. I was in a ethnic meat market and they happened to have fresh goat meat available so I bought 3 lbs. for the Vindaloo, and it turned out great.

The pork belly bites look fantastic as well. I have a recipe for Vindaloo BBQ sauce that an Indian chef gave me quite some time ago that might go well with those.

Again, great job.
Appreciate the kind words. I have enjoyed goat curries quite a few times. I’m sure it would be excellent vindaloo. I’d be interested in that sauce if it’s something you’d share.

Hey Jeff, the vindaloo looks great! I never had it but it’s something I wanted to make. My younger brother makes it all the time and he loves it.

Great looking cook. Indian is one of my favorites.

I’ve read some ways to do a makeshift tandoor oven with a clay pot on a smoker/grill. Looks a little janky but I might try someday.
A Kamado with the grates taken out is a very good sub.
Hey Jeff, the vindaloo looks great! I never had it but it’s something I wanted to make. My younger brother makes it all the time and he loves it.
Thanks Joe! I love the flavors but make it rarely. Not sure why though. Need to do these flavors more often.

Jeff, I have been away from here a lot lately, but that's no excuse for missing this. Fantastic food and fantastic pictures!! Now you've got me thinking...:emoji_wink:

It’s been too long since I’ve had Indian food. I ate Indian often when I traveled weekly up to Brampton and Toronto ON. Around my rural area you either drive a couple hours or make your own lol. I often will do butter chicken when I get the Indian flavor urge but wanted something different. Went with pork vindaloo and some tandoori spiced pork belly bites. Getting the part started first was cubing up about 3 - 3 1/2 lbs of this pork butt. View attachment 658137View attachment 658138Next for the pork belly. It will really add some richness to the vindaloo. View attachment 658139Cubed about 1 1/2 lbs in smaller pieces for the vindaloo. View attachment 658140Cut the rest in nice big cubes forcthe pork belly bites. View attachment 658141For the pork belly bites I hit them with a commercial tandoori masala dry spice blend and into the frig overnight. View attachment 658142For the vindaloo time to make the marinade paste. 5 T Kashmiri chili powder, 2 1/2 t ginger powder, 2 T Splenda, 2t cumin, 1/2t black pepper, 1t turmeric, 1t ground clove, 1/2 t cinnamon, 2t garlic powder and about 3 t salt. The Kashmiri chile is really key to the dish View attachment 658143Now the key component that makes vindaloo what it is…. Vinegar. 1 cup of white vinegar mixed with spices to form the marinade paste. Vindaloo has it roots in Portugal where they used spiced vinegar mixes to immerse meats for longer preservation. They brought it to India where it was made into this dish. View attachment 658144The meat mixed thoroughly with the marinade and into the refrigerator overnight. View attachment 658145Roll the clock forward to this morning. First up quartered and thinly sliced 2 onions. Sautéed in a bit of avocado oil until translucent. View attachment 658146Meat, onions and 5 cups of water added to the pot. Brought to a boil and rapid simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until pork is tender. When it’s ready I do something most recipes don’t call for there is a tremendous amount of rendered fat and this is critical to the flavor of the dish I hate it continually pooling on the top though I remove the meat with a slotted spoon, add roughly 1 1/2 t Glucomannon which I premix in about 1/2 cup cold water I hit that with an immersion blender to fully emulsify / incorporate the fat then I add the meat back in It works flawlessly View attachment 658147It was super windy out and I had to keep an eye on the vindaloo so did the pork belly bites in the oven. They were baked about 2 1/2 hours at 275F and spritzed a couple times with one of my hot sauce browns for Simple Indian Recipes. I glazed them with a bbq sauce made of sugar free ketchup, multiple spices as well as garam masala and tandoori masala, espresso powder, cola and brown swerve. This was a cook to taste deal as the recipe I started with frankly sucked. Glazed them and baked 15 minutes to set the sauce. Served with cilantro chutney which is a pretty popular Indian condiment. I can share that if anyone wants. Basically a large bunch of cilantro stems and all along with lime juice, a pinch of sweet and salt. I will say this may be my favorite appetizer I’ve ever made. The sweet earthy sauce against the bright citrusy chutney and the rich pork is mind blowing. Here is the pork bite appetizer plated.View attachment 658151Here is some of the vindaloo. Nice and spicy with the vinegar tang. I’m tired now so cheating and will serve with some steamed frozen cauliflower rice. View attachment 658155Oh and here’s a shot of more of the pork belly bites. View attachment 658156Well that’s a wrap. Time to pass out a few to go containers. Thanks for looking!!
I enjoy a few dishes:

Chicken Kashmiri (a banana cream sauce)
Chicken Mango extra spicy
Chicken Biryani extra spicy (a parent actually made me this once)
Garlic nan
Coconut Soup

I'm lucky enough to live one block from two very good Indian places

WOW Jeff, I do not know how I missed this last year. Glad it was brought up. ....
( Just noticed the date and year, lol just remembered as I am typing, we were away for our anniversary for about 3 weeks last year )

Back to your meal, This is a fantastic show and tell. I would love to have tried a plate full of that.

I have been playing with Indian foods and spices lately, and I just love what you did here.
So many spices and flavours to play with

Like I said glad this was brought back up.

David

WOW Jeff, I do not know how I missed this last year. Glad it was brought up. ....
( Just noticed the date and year, lol just remembered as I am typing, we were away for our anniversary for about 3 weeks last year )

Back to your meal, This is a fantastic show and tell. I would love to have tried a plate full of that.

I have been playing with Indian foods and spices lately, and I just love what you did here.
So many spices and flavours to play with

Like I said glad this was brought back up.

David
Thanks David! It was a memorable meal. The appetizer is in the conversation for my top favorite.I need to get this all on the agenda again along with some shawarma

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Missed this one as well. Looks great! Man that is some hardcore spicing.

Just ran some shawarma. I am running all sorts of what I call middle eastern stuff. Getting better each time. Flattened chicken thighs. My thinking as of late is to not even bother using the spices in the marinade and just add either when cooking or after. I am using ALOT and very little spice carries through compared to adding later. I am totally sold on a sour cream, minced garlic, minced ginger, salt marinade tho.

20240303_180820_resized.jpg

Missed this one as well. Looks great! Man that is some hardcore spicing.

Just ran some shawarma. I am running all sorts of what I call middle eastern stuff. Getting better each time. Flattened chicken thighs. My thinking as of late is to not even bother using the spices in the marinade and just add either when cooking or after. I am using ALOT and very little spice carries through compared to adding later. I am totally sold on a sour cream, minced garlic, minced ginger, salt marinade tho.

View attachment 692024
Chicken shawarma may be my absolute favorite food. I did mine last time on the trompo king. Threaded the thighs all on wet so got a lot of flavor. I need to do some soon, my neighbors wife has asked a few dozen times lol https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-chicken-shawarma.317190/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky