Pork tenderloin with kraut and tomatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
The other day I mentioned to a few friends about a dish my mom used to make back when I was young. I tried making it a few times. But it wasn't the same. Until last night. I talked to my sister the other day. And told her how I was making it. And. Low and behold. She had the recipe! The trick was with 2 things I was leaving out. And 2 things that needed adjustment.
P3130052.JPG

P3130052.JPG

Take 2 pork tender loins. And cut into 1.5" thick pieces. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.
P3130053.JPG

P3130053.JPG

Browned in a CI skillet with lard.

P3130054.JPG

P3130054.JPG

Sauté 2 med onions. And this was the first adjustment. I was using crushed canned tomatoes. Gayle said that mom always used whole canned skin off tomatoes. And mashed them up a touch with a potato masher. She swore that it made a difference. Didn't have one of those. So, I gave them a quick hit with the food chopper.
So, I then put the tomatoes and onions in a bowl with the second adjustment. Italian seasoning, which I wasn't using.
Added 2 tsp. Then the third adjustment. 2 bay leaves. Wasn't using them either. And the last. I wasn't adding enough sugar to cut the acid. I was using 2 tsp. I doubled it.

P3130055.JPG

P3130055.JPG

Everything added to the pan. And put in a 325 degree oven for a hour covered. Then removed the cover. And went another 30 minutes. The pork was at 150 IT.

P3130058.JPG

P3130058.JPG

Plated up. I'm not joking when I said I had tears in my eyes when I tasted it. Fond memories.

Steve

Last edited:
That is an awesome recipe and story. Thank you for sharing it! Unfortunately, for some reason the pictures aren't coming through, it could be my computer, they don't like me. I want to try this recipe, it sounds similar to one I grew up eating, but my parents never used seasoning beyond salt and pepper so it is probably a lot tastier!

Again, thank you for sharing a cool story about finding some nostalgia!

It's always nice to be able to recreate some of the dishes our mama's put on the table growing up. Nice piece of work there Steve! Pics are fine on my end. RAY

Steve that’s a great looking dish and something I will surely try. Great write up and story, it’s a nice feeling to recreate something that takes us back to a more simple time.

That looks fantastic!!.. All I could think about while reading this was ....man this would hit the spot with some mashed potatoes !! Then I saw the plated pic!.. I bet that meal was really satisfying... I'm glad you got the recipe....sometimes we spend a lot of time chaising that nostalgia and never getting to it...
I'm glad you got to experience something from the past full of memories...funny how food can do that!..

Reactions: chopsaw
I bet that did hit the spot and bring back the memories .
Nice work , and loved the info .

whole canned skin off tomatoes. And mashed them up a touch with a potato masher. She swore that it made a difference.
I would have to agree with her .
. I wasn't adding enough sugar to cut the acid.
Can almost taste the difference just reading about it .
Glad you figured it out .

nice dish and story to boot. I would love to try this. Question, how much kraut did you use? and did you drain all the liquid from it before combining?
Big Lkke!

nice dish and story to boot. I would love to try this. Question, how much kraut did you use? and did you drain all the liquid from it before combining?
Big Lkke!

Thank you! I drained the kraut. Not the tomatoes. I used two 14.4 oz cans of kraut. And one 28 oz can of tomatoes.

Reactions: clifish
Big Lkke!
I'm curious too. Also about how much canned whole tomatoes to use. I think I'm going to try and do this this coming week. It just looks too good not to!

That is an awesome recipe and story. Thank you for sharing it! Unfortunately, for some reason the pictures aren't coming through, it could be my computer, they don't like me. I want to try this recipe, it sounds similar to one I grew up eating, but my parents never used seasoning beyond salt and pepper so it is probably a lot tastier!

Again, thank you for sharing a cool story about finding some nostalgia!
Thanks! Hopefully you can see the pics now.

It's always nice to be able to recreate some of the dishes our mama's put on the table growing up. Nice piece of work there Steve! Pics are fine on my end. RAY
Thanks Ray!

Yes sir looks fire. Love pork and kraut!
Thank you Jake!

Great looking dish Steve! Would be a great meal for a nice cold day.
Thank you John!

That looks fantastic!!.. All I could think about while reading this was ....man this would hit the spot with some mashed potatoes !! Then I saw the plated pic!.. I bet that meal was really satisfying... I'm glad you got the recipe....sometimes we spend a lot of time chaising that nostalgia and never getting to it...
I'm glad you got to experience something from the past full of memories...funny how food can do that!..
Thanks Travis, I was very happy to find that my sister had that recipe.

Great Dish and Story. Nice reliving memories!
Thanks Brian. It was a happy/sad meal.

I like it! Looks great
Thanks!

I bet that did hit the spot and bring back the memories .
Nice work , and loved the info .

I would have to agree with her .

Can almost taste the difference just reading about it .
Glad you figured it out .
Thank you! It made a world of difference with those few corrections.

Reactions: bauchjw and chopsaw
I'm curious too. Also about how much canned whole tomatoes to use. I think I'm going to try and do this this coming week. It just looks too good not to!
I drained the kraut. Not the tomatoes. I used two 14.4 oz cans of kraut. And one 28 oz can of tomatoes.

Reactions: Sowsage
Well, It certainly looks Great, Steve!!
A little Family Teamwork on the Recipe & Memories did it!!
Nice Job, and Assist for the Sis!!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky