pork steak idea needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masonman1345

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Orangefield Texas
I have thawed out some pork steaks, i was putting them on the grill. Then i thought, ask everyone else if they know of a way to kick it up a knotch!!! Does anyone out there have a recipe for them that they would like to share? Just tired of the same old same old. Thank you.

icon_cool.gif

Now that sounds like a good idea or maybe just throw them into the smoker. I know you should get a handful of them and tie them all together and smoke them like a butt. You know like a gyro loaf is nothing but a bunch of thinnly sliced lamb meat and some other stuff too.

Or cold smoke them for a bit for flavor and cook them as normal on the grill. Or even better yet do a reverse sear on them. Smoke them until an internal temp of around 130 then throw them on the grill to sear them and bring them up to your desired finishing internal temp. I love using herbes de provence seasoning on my pork loins and steaks. I go crazy over fennel.

I take a couple of cups of buttermilk, add Tony Chacharro's Creole seasoning to taste (don't over do it), then dump that over the chops and let them brine in that for a couple of hours (or overnight). Then either smoke or grill them, if you grill them put some chunks/chips of mesquite or hickory in with your charcoal to get some nice smoke flavor.

Here is a simple recipe for chops you can adjust to your steak

6 Larger size thick pork chops

1 Can Tomato soup

1 Can Hominy

1/3 Cup Heinz 57 Steak Sauce or barbecue sauce

3 T. Green onion, chopped

Season chops with salt, pepper or seasoning of your preference

Sear on charcoal grill with smoke chips of your choice cooking to about two-thirds done

Place chops in medium sized aluminum roasting pan

Combine tomato soup, hominy, sauce with one can water from soup can

Pour mixture over chops and allow to cook/simmer approx. 45 min. in cooker or oven  325-350 deg.

You can also use a medium sized skillet or electric skillet to finish if you prefer

Sprinkle with green onion when finished and serve

If you don't like hominy, 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen corn or Spanish corn melody are good substitutes

I take a couple of cups of buttermilk, add Tony Chacharro's Creole seasoning to taste (don't over do it), then dump that over the chops and let them brine in that for a couple of hours (or overnight). Then either smoke or grill them, if you grill them put some chunks/chips of mesquite or hickory in with your charcoal to get some nice smoke flavor.
Awesome recipe Johnny! Buttermilk is some awesome stuff.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Or cold smoke them for a bit for flavor and cook them as normal on the grill. Or even better yet do a reverse sear on them. Smoke them until an internal temp of around 130 then throw them on the grill to sear them and bring them up to your desired finishing internal temp. I love using herbes de provence seasoning on my pork loins and steaks. I go crazy over fennel.
I highly recommend the reverse sear.  I live in St. Louis which is the birthplace of the pork steak and about 95% of the people in this town sear them and then indirect/smoke till done.  What a waste of smoke wood.  Meat only takes on smoke flavor until the temperature of the outer skin reaches between 140-160 degrees.  If you sear first, the smoke won't penetrate much if at all.  Go with the reverse sear as rbranstner says.  Smoke for a good hour in a low fire with some sort of smoke wood.  Then sear at the end to get that great flavor crust.  Sauce after that if you like.

Awesome recipe Johnny! Buttermilk is some awesome stuff.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Can someone tell me what the milke, and in this case, buttermilk does for the meat?  I've used salted milk to remove the gaminess from venison, but never for regular cuts of meat.  I'm very intrigued and think I need to give this a try.  What does it do?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky