Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhath19

Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I am smoking a 7.5 pound pork shoulder today and will be serving tomorrow evening. I am cooking today, because I will not have time to do so tomorrow before the family gathering. What's the best way to reheat it with a Crockpot? We will not be at the house right before dinner, so I'll have to use a crockpot for reheating. Should I reheat the shredded pork? Or do I leave the pork shoulder together and reheat that way in the crockpot? We will probably have it in the Crockpot for 2 hours.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

After you smoke it, pull it, then refrigerate it.

Put it in the crock pot with some of the pan juices.

It will probably take longer than 2 hours to reheat.

Al

After you smoke it, pull it, then refrigerate it.

Put it in the crock pot with some of the pan juices.

It will probably take longer than 2 hours to reheat.

Al

I don't think there will be many juices since I cook directly on the grate in the smoker. I usually don't catch the juices while cooking with a pan. Any suggestions on broth or something else I should use?

Thanks Al. So should I probably use 32 oz of chicken broth, I assume. Then should I heat on low for 3-4 hours?

Yes your going to have to have enough broth in there to get everything hot. 32 oz may be a little too much.
I would put the meat in then add as much broth as you need to get to the top of the meat.
I think I would start it off on high for an hour or so then when it's starting to heat up, turn it to low.
You could also put it in a big pan with some broth, cover with foil & reheat in a 250 degree oven for a couple of hours.

Al

Yes your going to have to have enough broth in there to get everything hot. 32 oz may be a little too much.
I would put the meat in then add as much broth as you need to get to the top of the meat.
I think I would start it off on high for an hour or so then when it's starting to heat up, turn it to low.
You could also put it in a big pan with some broth, cover with foil & reheat in a 250 degree oven for a couple of hours.

Al
I'm leaning towards the oven idea. Should all of the meat be submerged in the pan by the broth? Or should I only fill it up to a certain point?

Thanks for all of your help Al!

If you do it in the oven you will just need a little broth to keep it moist.

Maybe a cup.

Also I suggest when you serve it you use a finishing sauce.

Personally I like SoFlaQuer's sauce.

Here's his recipe:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

Hope this helps.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky