Pork Shoulder, who what where?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rakdos42

Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Hello friends, my local shop is currently out of pork belly, so I cannot make the smoked cubes I was hoping for but they do have shoulder.

I've seen some work with injection, but I do not own a hypodermic needle. Any advice for my first shoulder? Ideally I would like to do a sweet and spicy blend.

Ok then maybe I shall do a brine and not inject. My shoulder is 9 lbs, so figuring at least an hour and 30, at least that is what I've been seeing. Wrap it after 5 hr and finish at 205 degrees.

Not sure why you want to inject or brine...a butt has a lot of marbled fat. i cut off fat (cap) before i cook a butt and still have very moist meat. just strim the really hard stuff off and cook it between 225 and 325 until 205 and wrap and let rest. if im only going to smoke it for 5-6 hours i cook a butt at around 300 degrees and that smokes 6 hours and gets it to 205. comes out moist tender and delicious! shred, add a touch of bbq sauce on a bun or with rice and its good eats.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Never brined or injected a butt either and they always come out great. Good rub. Good wood. Don't pull it off too quick.

Ok then maybe I shall do a brine and not inject. My shoulder is 9 lbs, so figuring at least an hour and 30, at least that is what I've been seeing. Wrap it after 5 hr and finish at 205 degrees.

Not finish AT 205...Wrap in you wish or for more Smoke flavor leave nekked, and finish at a smoker temp of 225 or higher TO an IT of 205...JJ

Brining anything thicker than a Chicken Thigh, over night, does little for the meat except add salt to the outer 1/4 inch of the surface. Brines just don't penetrate red meat that fast. You are Far better off putting a heavy coat of a Salty Rub a day or more out. At least that will penetrate further...JJ

As said no need to brine or inject a pork butt. However some of the liquids for injecting comes with a needle such as tony's

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky