pork shoulder for chili?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
hey all,

Gonna do another batch of chili soon. I usually go with Ground beef.. Sometimes i also throw in some sirloin... I have some pork shoulder though. Would that be weird to go ground beef and pork shoulder?

hey all,

Gonna do another batch of chili soon. I usually go with Ground beef.. Sometimes i also throw in some sirloin... I have some pork shoulder though. Would that be weird to go ground beef and pork shoulder?
Nope not weird at all as long as you still rock ground beef and don't go more pork than beef, unless you are trying for a different kind of chili than fairly typical chili flavor.

Reactions: negolien
I say go wild with the pork. We do all pork Chile all the time, beef is great also, we mix them and solo them at will, end result is most delicious. Run with what is on your mind, no wrong answer.

I love pulled pork, cut short, in my chili. But somewhat surprisingly, even when juicy, it tends to dry out the chili a bit...just a surface-area-to-volume ratio argument I guess.
So make sure you have your favorite chili "thinner" on hand, whether that's red wine, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, or all of the above.

I've tried it and it was like using ground turkey in the chili. Would not absorb the 'chili' flavors. My guests did not care for it at all. Try brisket. It's cheap per pound in most places.

Pork in chili would be just fine shredded, cubed or yes even ground and browned. I have done all the above. Honestly in a dish like chili it’s virtually indistinguishable from beef.

I've used pork quite a few times for chili. I like to cube it, brown it then cook as normal to the point where the meat is still whole but pulls when served and broken down with a fork. It's more along the lines of carnitas but with your regular chili seasoning. Chili verde is most always done with cubed pork to my knowledge.
Either way, it sounds like some good tortilla fodder.

I had some leftover pulled pork from yesterday made a chili outta it today. It tasted amazing.
Put all the ingredients in a Dutch oven on the Traeger had to leave out the hot peppers the ladies in the house don’t care for them
185150B1-42FB-4BBE-89B5-8BEAB608C403.jpeg

ACFD885F-899D-4EFD-96E2-427BA01CACFE.jpeg

hey all,

Not at all. I always do chili with leftover shoulder and it’s great, just make it in the instant pot if you have one. We love it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky