Pork shoulder danger zone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fromthenorthwest

Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
Greetings forum, im a new member here. I put a pork shoulder in last night about 11 after an hour or so sitting at room temp. I put the thermometer (which i now know was not a good idea) in and put the shoulder in the smoker that was hovering around 210 intil midnight when i went to bed. I woke up at 7 and the smoker temp read 190, with an IT shoulder at 150. I had wanted to slow the cooking time down because of the bbq time the next day, but since reading on this forum i now know i shouldve kept the smoker temp above 225 and not inserted thermometer into shoulder. It wasn't until after this was underway that i learned about the 140 degree 4 hour rule. My question, would it be smart to toss the meat?

Edit: Long story short: After roughly 9 hours out of the fridge the IT of the shoulder had gone from fridge temp to 150. I know the meat IT will increase quickly at first and gradually slow down as it gets higher, so is there a chance the 140 safety threshold was crossed sooner? I was guessing sometwere around hour 7

Last edited:
You are fine...40 to 140 in 4, ONLY counts for Ground, Injected, Punctured, as in chunks of Herbs and garlic, or Boned out meat...You have done none of these. The Probe does not matter. Leave in Thermometers have been around over 50 years with no documented cases of illness. You would see Warnings in the Instructions to wait x hours before insertion. There is no such warning, ever... It would take a lot longer that 5,6,7,8, hours for any pathogens to grow to dangerous numbers....JJ

Thats great news, thanks JJ. I had all but given up on this one from what I'd read online

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky