Pork Shoulder: 1x12# or 2x6#???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mirachael

Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Lindstrsom, MN
Picked up a pork shoulder from Sam's same time as I bought my new MES-40".  Got smallest one they had, but still 12 pounds. 

Advice seems to be that pulled pork takes 1.5 hours/pound and 6-8 pounds is a good size. 

Should I cut it in half? 

I think you probably have a 2 pack. Have you opened it up yet? They usually come 2 to a pack in cryovac wrapping.

Could be what Al said. Could also be a bone in. If its bone in, iI leave it intact. I think the bone adds some flavor. If not you can cut it in half. Probably won't change the cook time a whole lot, but you will get more smoke penetration.

Good luck and don't forget the qview.

A 12 pounder is possible, but I'm gonna guess it's a twin pack.

An 18 pounder would be a definite twin pack!

Bear

Thanks for the input from all...

It's in Cryovac, so a double sounds reasonable.  Won't know until next week when I get some time to put it on.  Will post back as an FYI for others

Another question... if it is a twin pack, one will be frozen.  Should I freeze it while fresh or smoke it and freeze the 2nd???

Pulled Pork Freezes well so I would smoke them both and then freeze the second one after pulling... 

Last ones we did we smoked all that would fit in the smoker, then froze them up for later use.

OK, I (finally) opened the package to prep the Pork Shoulder for tomorrows smoke.  Costco Cryovac package of 13 pounds ($1.89/pound) had TWO (2) shoulders with the bone removed. 

Trimmed fat, coated with yellow mustard and a pork rub, put in ziploc bags and will hold overnight. 

Plan is to smoke on MES using half hickory / half cherry at 230F until 140F.   Then cover and push to 200F internal temp.  Rest for a few hours before pulling apart.

Will put one in a pan on lower rack, second one just above on the bare rack.

OK, I (finally) opened the package to prep the Pork Shoulder for tomorrows smoke.  Costco Cryovac package of 13 pounds ($1.89/pound) had TWO (2) shoulders with the bone removed. 

Trimmed fat, coated with yellow mustard and a pork rub, put in ziploc bags and will hold overnight. 

Plan is to smoke on MES using half hickory / half cherry at 230F until 140F.   Then cover and push to 200F internal temp.  Rest for a few hours before pulling apart.

Will put one in a pan on lower rack, second one just above on the bare rack.
With an MES 40, you could put them both on the second rack from the top.

Any reason for putting them on different racks?

My reasons for putting them both on one rack are:

#1 temps will be closer to each other that way.

#2 only one  rack to clean after smoking.

Just a suggestion.

Don't forget the Qview,

Bear

Mirachael,

I just noticed you are planning on foiling at 140˚.

Most foil at 165˚.

If you foil at 140˚, you probably won't get any bark at all.

Just thought I better let you know.

Sorry I didn't notice that earlier.

Bear

Good eye Bear, I'd just let it ride all the way to 205 without any foil, but I like a lot of bark. ROOOF,ROOOF!

Sorry about the lack of photos.  Still getting the hang of this and camera is remembered when hands are full of something else.  Will get better

Guess I was experimenting a bit with the differences.  Wanted to try one in a foil pan and other on bare rack... Found we all much preferred the bare rack as it absorbed more smoke.

Was unaware that usually cook to 165 before covering.  Will go that route next time as again, preferred the extra smoke.

Never saw a plateau in temperature, but just slowly crept along raising about 10F per hour.  Took about 14 hours to reach 205F internal temp.  The one in the pan was ahead initially (perhaps because it was 1 shelf lower) but other one caught up fine after wrapping in foil.   Both shoulders just fell apart when pulling making quick work of it just using gloved hands. 

Will also test out a pure hickory smoke.  Perhaps the Cherry softened the smoky flavor a bit as well.  Have not been able to locate oak or pecan, but I hear they have a nice profile as well...

Sorry about the lack of photos.  Still getting the hang of this and camera is remembered when hands are full of something else.  Will get better

Guess I was experimenting a bit with the differences.  Wanted to try one in a foil pan and other on bare rack... Found we all much preferred the bare rack as it absorbed more smoke.

Was unaware that usually cook to 165 before covering.  Will go that route next time as again, preferred the extra smoke.

Never saw a plateau in temperature, but just slowly crept along raising about 10F per hour.  Took about 14 hours to reach 205F internal temp.  The one in the pan was ahead initially (perhaps because it was 1 shelf lower) but other one caught up fine after wrapping in foil.   Both shoulders just fell apart when pulling making quick work of it just using gloved hands. 

Will also test out a pure hickory smoke.  Perhaps the Cherry softened the smoky flavor a bit as well.  Have not been able to locate oak or pecan, but I hear they have a nice profile as well...
If you have a "do it best" hardware store close you can order just about any type of chips/chunks/dust online and have it shipped to the store for free. Here is a link http://www.doitbest.com/search-pecan+wood+chunks.dib.

These are roughly fist size chunks, pretty good stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky