Pork sausage project for a cool day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
Yesterday was 40F and breezy, and I was on the patio with a pork butt, the Chop-Rite #10, and the 22-inch Weber. I had two plans: One was to grind most of the pork for breakfast sausage, and the other was to smoke some of the pork to cube into a batch of chili. I had originally intended to buy smoked hocks for the chili, but nothing looked too tempting so I decided to go the DIY route. I used the Weber because of the breeze, since it can ignore wind.

First, cutting boards and my boning knife. As soon as I sliced into the meat I knew I had a good piece for sausage. I cut a few nice thick steaks before boning the rest for the grinder.

40F.jpg

First I ran most of the meat through the coarse plate under the close supervision of a beverage and the radio playing NPR. I've been using those steel bowls for about 25 years. The Masterbuilt offset and Lin's big propane grill photobomb the shot.

This is the coarse plate for a first grind. Later, I switched to the "hamburger" plate for the second grind but the cold air made the fat too firm to go through the plate well, so I moved that part of the operation back indoors. The sausage seasoning was the basic sage-salt-pepper with a kiss of rosemary. The herbs were grown last year right there at the edge of the patio.

patiogrinder.jpg

The steaks got a rub which turned out to be more peppery than I expected. :rolleyes:

_rubbed_and_pods.jpg

Then a modest load of charcoal with some maple splits for flavor. I deliberately set up the fire so part of the grill would be hotter. I did not intend to completely cook the meat, just put some smoke and char on it. The cooking would be completed either in a batch of chili, or when frying the sausage.

maple_starting.jpg

I used the top vent to control the air flow, an old habit of mine. I let it run a bit fast and smoky since this wasn't going to be a long slow cook with a big piece.

top_vent_control.jpg

This is what I mean when I say there is a blurred area between smoking and grilling when using a direct setup. The charred piece was in the center before this shot; it was diced up to go into the chili. The other pieces are just picking up some golden color. I did not want to cook them completely because they were going into the grinder. This is the first time I've tried grinding partially-cooked meat.

The jalapenos are there because jalapeno.

webersmoke.jpg

So here we are. Some charred for the chili, some just smoked and lightly cooked for the sausage, and some just for snacking on the spot.

three_cooked_pieces.jpg

Wheeee!

As a follow-up, I fried some patties this morning. Yes the smoke flavor does come out subtly, almost gives it a ham flavor. I'll do this again.

Haven't tried the chili yet.

Wow looks great, Now you have me thinking of smoking some meat for a fresh sausage of some type...... Like it

Now to pick up where I left off, what happened to that ground pork?

I made it into patties with the same method I use for beef burgers. I got a basic little kitchen scale, not the best but good enough for uses like this. I set it to weigh in ounces, and lay a piece of plastic wrap over it to keep it clean. I make big meatballs, shooting for five ounces each, though I'll settle for anywhere between 4.9 and 5.1. Having a uniform size helps with uniform cooking.

weighing_patties.jpg

(not sure why the readout doesn't show in the pic)

I use this patty pressing kit, it's simple and easy to use. I drop in a meatball, put a disc on it, then press it flat. Repeat.

pressing_patties.jpg

I push the patties out of the press, and wrap each individually in plastic wrap.

wrapping_patties.jpg

Then the patties chill; today the patio tabletop was about 14F (it was 40F yesterday) so they sat there for a while before going into the freezer. Once they're completely frozen I'll bag them, then thaw them as I need them. These are very easy to fry for breakfast.

patties_chilling.jpg

As a follow-up, I fried some patties this morning. Yes the smoke flavor does come out subtly, almost gives it a ham flavor. I'll do this again.

Haven't tried the chili yet.

Actually, in a way, you are correct! The smoke imparts a nitrite into the meat which will give it a 'cured' flavor; something you notice doing pork spare ribs (as they are thin also).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky