Pork Roast Anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlloyd99

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 13, 2006
Chillicothe MO
Does anyone have a good recipe for smoking a pork roast? We've been given one to smoke this weekned and not real sure how to go about it. I was thinking to do it just like a shoulder but if anyone has better ideas I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

J, are you talking about a pork loin roast or a butt roast? The technique would be totally different for these 2 cuts and I'd want to be sure before I offered any advice.

This will sound silly but I'm not real sure on that one. I didn't pick out the roast and I havn't seen it so all I know is that its a bone-in roast. The boy said that it comes from the same cut of meat where you would get a pork steak from and that it's not from the shoulder. I hate to sound so cryptic but as I'm not real familar with pork cuts that's about all I can offer, other than the bone is a thin triangular bone. I hope that makes more sense to you than to me.

J, most of what you describe (bone in and what pork steaks are cut from) makes it sound like you have a Boston Butt roast. This is absolutely from the shoulder however, despite what you were told.
Cooking it just like a shoulder, will be perfect, because that's what it is. It's the upper cut of the whole shoulder.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Scott. I appreciate it. We'll go ahead as planned then.

Lady J, I don't mean to REALLY confuse you but the south end of the pork loin where the Pork Loin Roast comes from can also be cut into pork steaks also (these kind of resemble the PORK version of the Beed Sirloin steak bonewise). I say if you do end up with a pork lion bone in or boneless you ought to try my Smoked Pork Loin with Mahogany sauce. :)

BTW- I done sent ya that snail mail-

Thanks for the tips everyone. Most of the pork I cook is either a pork chops or bacon so this is new territory for me. Having been raised around beef and having a Dad who has worked in the beef industry for so long that's about all I know how to do. I'm really looking forward to brodening my horizens where all this is concerned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky