Pork loin, tender & juicy, steps & q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Great thread. I am particularly interested in using the stock in the pan. Going on my to do list. I even have a pork loin in the freezer.

Points for inspiration!

Disco
Thanks a lot Disco!

Appreciate the point too!

Al

Looks great Al. I'm guilty of trying to go above and beyond with flavors and fancy stuff. Nothing like a nice juicy tender slice of pork

I'm cooking for a pretty good sized group, but with a fairly small smoker.  Do you think there would be an issue putting two loins side by side in a pan or stacking a third loin on top of the other two?

Two loins side by side would be fine. If you stack a third one on top I think you will increase the cooking time quite a bit.

It will be like cooking one great big hunk of meat.

You could cook some of them ahead of time. Slice them up & put them back in the pan with the juices. Cover with foil & then refrigerate them until your party. Then reheat them in the oven when you are ready to eat.

Al

I ran across this thread this morning, and even though I'm joining it really late, I would like to try this with a 5 lb pork loin I got out of the freezer yesterday.  Al, the loin looks mighty tasty, and I hope mine turns out half as good as yours looks. I have a few questions for you about your process, as I am new to smoking and have never done a loin before

What else is good to use as a liquid during the smoke besides broth?  I have seen that a lot of people use apple juice as a liquid.

What does scoring the fat cap do?

How long is long enough for the fridge rest? 

Is an IT of 150 enough for those people in the family who don't like pink on their meat?

If I don't smoke it in a pan like you do, do I need to spray it with a liquid during the smoke or have a pan of liquid in the smoker to keep it moist?

Thanks for your help, and I enjoy this site very much.

I ran across this thread this morning, and even though I'm joining it really late, I would like to try this with a 5 lb pork loin I got out of the freezer yesterday.  Al, the loin looks mighty tasty, and I hope mine turns out half as good as yours looks. I have a few questions for you about your process, as I am new to smoking and have never done a loin before

It would be helpful to know what smoker you have. If it's a charcoal or stick burner there will be a pink smoke ring, sometimes 1/2' thick.

What else is good to use as a liquid during the smoke besides broth?  I have seen that a lot of people use apple juice as a liquid.  Apple juice is good for a foiling liquid or a spritz during cooking, but I wouldn't use it as a pan liquid.

What does scoring the fat cap do? It lets the rub get down to the meat.

How long is long enough for the fridge rest? A couple of hours is good or you can leave it in there overnight. The longer you leave it the more flavor will get into the meat.

Is an IT of 150 enough for those people in the family who don't like pink on their meat? Yes it will still be juicy at 150, at 155-160 it will start to dry out.

If I don't smoke it in a pan like you do, do I need to spray it with a liquid during the smoke or have a pan of liquid in the smoker to keep it moist? In my opinion it will not be as moist unless it's smoked in a pan, but if you choose to not use the pan I would just put it on the grate. It really won't affect the juiciness of the loin if you spray it, or leave a pan of liquid in the smoker.

Hope this helps!

Al

It would be helpful to know what smoker you have. If it's a charcoal or stick burner there will be a pink smoke ring, sometimes 1/2' thick.

What else is good to use as a liquid during the smoke besides broth?  I have seen that a lot of people use apple juice as a liquid.  Apple juice is good for a foiling liquid or a spritz during cooking, but I wouldn't use it as a pan liquid.

What does scoring the fat cap do? It lets the rub get down to the meat.

How long is long enough for the fridge rest? A couple of hours is good or you can leave it in there overnight. The longer you leave it the more flavor will get into the meat.

Is an IT of 150 enough for those people in the family who don't like pink on their meat? Yes it will still be juicy at 150, at 155-160 it will start to dry out.

If I don't smoke it in a pan like you do, do I need to spray it with a liquid during the smoke or have a pan of liquid in the smoker to keep it moist? In my opinion it will not be as moist unless it's smoked in a pan, but if you choose to not use the pan I would just put it on the grate. It really won't affect the juiciness of the loin if you spray it, or leave a pan of liquid in the smoker.

Hope this helps!

Al
Thanks very much, Al, for the quick answers to my questions.  I have a Weber 22.5" charcoal grill that I will be using for the loin.

I think I will smoke it in the pan like you did, as that makes sense that it would be more moist that way.  What other liquid besides broth can be used in the pan?   I don't have a preference necessarily, I'm just curious as to what all can be used.

I was planning on using apple wood chips for this smoke, but I also have pecan chips, oak chunks and hickory chunks.  Is there a general consensus as to which one is better than another for pork?    

After reading this thread this morning, Al, I did go home at lunch and got the loin out of the fridge, rinsed and dried it, put the rub on it, wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge.  It will be in the fridge for 4 1/2 or 5 hours by the time I get it on the Weber.  I would not have thought to do that before I read this, so thank you again.   

Looks delicious! First 4-5 loins I ever done were all perfect but the last 3-4 no so. Maybe over thinking it like you mentioned. Time to retry this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much, Al, for the quick answers to my questions.  I have a Weber 22.5" charcoal grill that I will be using for the loin.

I think I will smoke it in the pan like you did, as that makes sense that it would be more moist that way.  What other liquid besides broth can be used in the pan?   I don't have a preference necessarily, I'm just curious as to what all can be used.

I was planning on using apple wood chips for this smoke, but I also have pecan chips, oak chunks and hickory chunks.  Is there a general consensus as to which one is better than another for pork?    

After reading this thread this morning, Al, I did go home at lunch and got the loin out of the fridge, rinsed and dried it, put the rub on it, wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge.  It will be in the fridge for 4 1/2 or 5 hours by the time I get it on the Weber.  I would not have thought to do that before I read this, so thank you again.   
Looks delicious! First 4-5 loins I ever done were all perfect but the last 3-4 no so. Maybe over thinking it like you mentioned. Time to retry this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck guys!

Al

I smoked my pork loin last night, and it turned out pretty good for my first time with this cut of meat.  I just put some rub on it and put it in a pan with some chicken broth like Al suggested, and I used a mix of apple and pecan wood chips.  I used my Weber charcoal grill and indirect heat. It came out a touch drier than I expected but I think it was because I made the mistake of setting the IT thermometer to 150 degrees (the family doesn't like much pink on their meat)  instead of to a few degrees lower and letting it come up to temp while resting it after the smoke.  The good news is that the family liked how it tasted, which is a step in the right direction.  My phone was charging while the smoke was going on, so I didn't think to get q-view pics, but this won't be my last smoke.  Thanks again, Al, for your suggestions and pics.

I know your family has a problem with pink pork, but the USDA says pork is safe at 145.

If you pull it at 140 & let it rest for 30 minutes the carryover cooking will bring it up to 145.

Then put some pan juice on it & it is just melt in your mouth.

Tell them to just close their eyes & take a bite.

Al

I will try to slip it past them next time, Al.  I don't have a problem with some pink pork, it is more tender that way.  My mother-in-law liked the pork loin I did, too, so that is an extra step in the right direction. 

I will try to slip it past them next time, Al.  I don't have a problem with some pink pork, it is more tender that way.  My mother-in-law liked the pork loin I did, too, so that is an extra step in the right direction. 
Tell them it's the smoke ring!

Al

Hey Al,

Ive got a couple of wild hog lions I need to smoke next week.  I like the idea of the pan and broth.  (Typically I just toss my meat on the grate) . Those lions are so lean... My smokes are usually with much more marbled meats. 

Question.  Do you cover with foil at any time?  I see you're using your own rub. Care to share?

Brian 

Hey Al,

Ive got a couple of wild hog lions I need to smoke next week.  I like the idea of the pan and broth.  (Typically I just toss my meat on the grate) . Those lions are so lean... My smokes are usually with much more marbled meats. 

Question.  Do you cover with foil at any time?  I see you're using your own rub. Care to share?

Brian 
No I don't cover the pan at all. If the top starts to look a little dry, I baste it with the pan juice.

Here's the rub:

Al’s Pork rub

1 1/2 cups raw sugar (turbinado)

1/4 cup red pepper flakes

1/2 cup granulated onion

1/2 cup granulated garlic

1/2 cup black pepper

1/2 cup smoked paprika

1/4 cup Spanish or Hungarian paprika

Al

So I am planning to smoke a loin for Thanksgiving and doing a dry run tomorrow. Do you put rub on the bottom of the loin which is in the broth? Also, what is the best way to freeze and thaw?

Yes I put rub on the whole loin.

I would slice the loin up, then freeze it with all the pan juice.

Then thaw it it the fridge & re-heat it in the oven in a covered pan.

Or you could re-heat it in a crock pot.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky