Pork loin HELP!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tunaduck

Original poster
Jan 2, 2016
I need to avoid a Christmas day disaster. I’m smoking a bone in pork loin using foam hearts recipe and Brine. I tried a small tester today and it came out horrible. I used the brine and brined it for 24 hours sprinkled it with a little my own rub I use for my pork. Cooked it at 225 to 235 for an hour and a half to IT 140. Let it rest for 30 minutes and just cut it and it’s super salty and chewy. Brined too long? Cooked two quick?

Reactions: Stonew68
The few times i have done a bone in loin, i usually brine it over night (6-8 hours). I usually cook mine at 300F i put it closest to the fire box for 15-20 min for each side or until its browned, that helps lock in the juices, then i move it back to the middle of smoker and wait to get the 140F for my internal and rest for 45 min. I would say dont brine it as long and maybe up your temp. Hope this helps! Merry Christmas!

I'd be a little cautious using a new brine or rub for a holiday dinner. I would go with what you know you like and cook to temperature. I like a simple rub of SPOG and maybe a glaze of some sort added towards the end. Cook it until it reaches about 140+/- and pull. Carry-over should get you to 145. I usually cook at 250.

Chris

I would be surprised that you over brined it. How much salt does your rub have in it?
If you can, I would cut down or eliminate the salt in your rub, use mayo to help the rub stick and help hold the moisture in. Pork Loin needs to be cooked low and slow, unlike tenderloin that you run at a higher temp. I would run your smoker at 250 and cook until it reaches 140 IT, pull and loosely cover with foil, rest it for 15 minutes and cut and serve. Do not cut more than you are serving.

Good luck and
Smoke ON!

- Jason

I need to avoid a Christmas day disaster. I’m smoking a bone in pork loin using foam hearts recipe and Brine. I tried a small tester today and it came out horrible. I used the brine and brined it for 24 hours sprinkled it with a little my own rub I use for my pork. Cooked it at 225 to 235 for an hour and a half to IT 140. Let it rest for 30 minutes and just cut it and it’s super salty and chewy. Brined too long? Cooked two quick?
You used to much salt. If you have not yet smoked it you could soak it in clear cold water for a couple of hours. OR Quick thaw a couple of chickens inject with EVO, plus basic brine below and smoke. Make a side dish of stuffing and veggies and you are good to go. I always cut off a little piece of the meat, cook it and taste it. Good basic brine 4 cups of water 1/4 cup of salt 1/4 brown sugar then add what ever spices you want. Sometimes I will use ginger ale or apple juice to brine with instead of water. ALWAYS have an emergency back up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky