Pork loin... faomheart style.... Canadian bacon, made in America... Recipe added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Kevin and I traded stuff awhile back.. Well, maybe a few years back... time seems to run amok anymore... He got some weird spices and I ended up with some lovely stretch netting....
It seems meat prefers to be tied up when smoking.... So this loin was whispering my name the other day when I was in the freezer room... whip me... beat me.... OH !!! that's a different story... Tie me up and smoke me baby !!! OK !!! ask no more.... done deal....

EDIT ... NOTE..... Inject and zip bag and turn every day or so while in the refer... BUT...
DO NOT STRETCH NET WRAP... until the curing process is finished.. Then you can net wrap the meat...

Loin 1 004.JPG
loin-1-004-jpg.403196

The smoke was a combination of Pitt. Choice, Cob and Mesquite... made into dust...
I truly love the smoke dust puts out... so does the meat...
Smells AWESOME !!!!
It's bagged in the refer for a few days to moisten the bark a bit...

Wrapped and ready.....

.............................. Loin 2 001.JPG

In the smoker
.................... Loin 1 001.JPG

Last edited:
Dave....that looks really, REALLY good!! I've done a lot of Back (Canadian) Bacon Disco style and we love it. Yours looks like a viable change so may have to give this a shot.

Robert

Wow! That looks great sir. When I think of loin as "bacon" I automatically think of a firm "set" to the meat. Yours looks very pliable. Is it something you did different?

Sliced fairly thin, only cooked to 135F... added STPP in the injection liquid to hold moisture in the meat..... Notice how the fat is not cooked.... smoker temp was 150 ish... exhaust closed after done adding smoke...

Reactions: JC in GB and drdon
The recipe of the injected stuff is....
Based on the weight of the meat....
10%... no salt soup stock... vegetable....
Phosphate additions..
https://butcherspantry.com/product-category/food-additives/
https://butcherspantry.com/product-category/curing-ingredients/

The proper procedure for mixing phosphates is....

Mix into the liquid...
1. phosphates and dissolve... 0.4% STPP....
2. sugars, proteins and dissolve... 1% sugar
3. salt and dissolve.... 1.75% Kosher salt
4. cure and dissolve.... 0.25% cure#1
5. accelerators (sodium erythorbate) and dissolve
6. starches and carrageenan and mix thoroughly...
I do NOT add these ingredients...

Chlorinated water impedes the action of nitrite... acids should not be added to brines containing nitrite, the 2 will react producing fumes..

Veggie Stock.jpg

Last edited:
You can boil the tap water for 10 minutes or something like that to get rid of the chlorine.. Check using Google or Firefox etc...

It was probably 18-24 hours.... What speeds up the cooking time is.... After adding the smoke you want, close down the exhaust (90%) to slow or stop the evaporative cooling from moisture in the meat..... The meat will stay much more moist and the case hardening, of the meat from evaporation, will be significantly reduced.. Bagging in the refer for a few days, softens the case hardening...
When the meat gets to ~135 ish, I hold the meat in the smoker for an extra hour or longer to insure pasteurization.... Or, move to your kitchen oven....
It must be kept cold because spores and other stuff have not been killed.. just like regular cooking don't kill spores etc... only pressure cooking at ~250F will kill spores... Once pasteurized, the food is safe for those with compromised immune systems... or so it says in fine print somewhere... Douglas Baldwin mentions that in his tutorial about sous-vide....

The pasteurization times for beef, lamb and pork are listed in Table C.1.
Temperature Time
°F (°C) (Minutes)
130 (54.4) 112 min...
131 (55.0) 89 min
132 (55.6) 71 min
133 (56.1) 56 min
134 (56.7) 45 min
135 (57.2) 36 min
136 (57.8) 28 min
137 (58.4) 23 min
138 (58.9) 18 min
139 (59.5) 15 min
140 (60.0) 12 min
141 (60.6) 9 min
142 (61.1) 8 min
143 (61.7) 6 min
144 (62.2) 5 min
145 (62.8) 4 min
Table C.1: Pasteurization times for beef, corned beef, lamb, pork and cured pork (FDA, 2009, 3-401.11.B.2).

Let me know if all that makes sense.... Dave

Reactions: zwiller
Yes, makes sense. How much smoke do you prefer on loin? I did 8hrs once and felt it was not enough. Was actually thinking of smoking 18-24hr similar to a ham. Very interesting you mentioned case hardening as it is a concern of mine now and starting to learn about it.

Have you smoked with pellet dust yet ??? I think 4-6 ounces of dust smokes the meat the same as about 1# of dust... a full tray... Cold smoke, the smoke penetrates the meat... warm to hot smoke, the smoke sits near the "surface" of the meat... totally different flavor... All I use now is dust... Of course, all this depends on how you smoke meats...
The loin had about 2, 4 hour smokes... about 12 hours between smokes...

meat-smoking-cold.gif meat-smoking-hot.gif

Reactions: zwiller and jcam222
Looks Outstanding, Dave.
Nice Job!
Like.
I however disagree with the temp/penetration mentioned.
I believe warm Smoke, like I use (110° to 130°) has a closer penetration rate to Cold Smoking than it does to Hot Smoking. If it didn't I wouldn't use it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky