Pork enchiladas...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Ok let's get it on. Crock potted the pork for 6 hours. Probably could have done 5 but. Tomorrow I will bake em.

Question: I seen some people coat both sides of the tortilla before filling and rolling. Seems kinda messy thoughts?

Also just pork in there seems like it would dry out?
20230115_130522.jpg

I have always just added a bit of sauce to the meat before rolling, put some in the bottom of the pan, and then topped with the rest of the sauce. Dipping tortillas in the sauce seems like too much hassle.

Reactions: negolien
Sauce the torts it’s worth it. Add a bit of sauce to the meat as well then add a bit of shredded cheese too. You will be rewarded. Oh and if using corn torts then very lightly fry them in oil then dip in sauce. It is a game changer.

I've even fried them in a very small amount of the sauce they will be cooked in, give a little extra flavor. You don't want much, the structure of the tortilla has to be good to roll up the enchilada.

Add some sauce to the meat, I like to add minced onion, bell pepper, chiles and sometimes whole pinto or black beans to the sauce I add to the meat/
Just enough to moisten it well, not swimming in sauce.

I prefer to soften my corn tortillas in some hot oil, 275°, soften is the keyword, not frying them.

First sauce the bottom of the baking dish, an eighth of an inch will do.
I do not sauce the tortillas before rolling.
Add the meat, roll and place in tray.
Once the tray is full I add sauce over the middle of the enchiladas, followed by the cheese.

Add some sauce to the meat, I like to add minced onion, bell pepper, chiles and sometimes whole pinto or black beans to the sauce I add to the meat/
Just enough to moisten it well, not swimming in sauce.

I prefer to soften my corn tortillas in some hot oil, 275°, soften is the keyword, not frying them.

First sauce the bottom of the baking dish, an eighth of an inch will do.
I do not sauce the tortillas before rolling.
Add the meat, roll and place in tray.
Once the tray is full I add sauce over the middle of the enchiladas, followed by the cheese.

I do mine the same way. We just finished the second batch yesterday, made with some butt smoked for 11 hrs at 230, killer.

I'd not be able to sleep....I'd have enchiladas running through my head all day.
Looks like a darn good meal.

Jim

• Haha
Either that's a smalling baking dish. Or big enchiladas! Don't really matter. They look stupendous!

They ARE big safeway substituted them for the taco one's I had ordered. Not a bad thing to me either lol. I tried not to overstuff em might have put a little more pork in but there's a pretty good amount in each one. I put pork some sauce some green chiles inside. I wish I would put in some cheese but i didn't have a whole bag and wanted to save it for the top. The Sauce is a little spicy I used this... Couldn't sleep sadly gonna be a long long night tonight

Signature SELECT Enchilada Sauce Red Medium Can - 28 Oz​

Those look good. It must be a west coast thing to use flour tortillas for enchiladas. They taste great but where I grew up (S. TX) we only ever saw corn tortillas used for enchiladas. Lucky I'm not a picky eater!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky