Pork Crown Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I am thinking that calling it a bone in loin sounds much better although the bone ends I frenched.

LOL... we having smoked pork roast for lunch. Just for those inquiring minds I believe the roast is now a little less than 4lbs.

I got a whole loin section but decided it was just silly to cook it all at once. When I bought it I had thought of stuffing it with boudin. Well last night I went to the freezer and seems all my boudin from last week has evaporated. Don't ya just hate when that happens?

Anyway, up early this AM. Heres whats been done so far.

Bones Frenched, sliver skin removed, I left the membrane on the ribs thinking it would help keep it together

I mixed up a pork brine.

Pork Loin Brine

2C     Water

1/4t.   Chipotle

1/2t.   Ginger

1/3C   Salt

1/2C   Brown sugar

1/4 C Tiger sauce

1/4t.   Thyme

1C       Apple cider

1/4C   Molasses

In the bag, into the reefer for 36 hours. Why so long, very little salt in the brine and I believe it took it well because the meat was not the normal hard or firm like an over brined meat.

After the brine the roast lost it form and sort of flattened out so I went ahead a trused it after removing the sliver skin from the opposite side.

I need to thank Woodcutter here, I had not used a fan to form the pellicle before, and he just kept telling me how well it works, well it worked and in amazing time, I am so far ahead of myself today now. I stopped had a cup of coffee and a slice of coconut cream meringue pie. Life is good. 

Just trying to show the pellicle.

I rubbed on the suntan lotion and then massages in the spices of choice for todays smoke.

And here it is as it was put into the smoker.

The smoker had preheated to 250, the tray was filled with hickory and cherry, vent wide open, loader sprung, tray had been lit and smoking for 20 mins.. Inserted the pellet tray on the number 4 grate, drip pan on number 3, meat on number 2. And its just pellets are just being contrary this morning....Grrrrrr......

Dropped the MES30 temp to 220, Still talking to the dang pellet tray, tried a different position after relighting.

Its been another 30 mins. time to check the smoke again and insert the thermometer.

More to follow.

Your work in Frenching this is stellar. You will be like an artist unveiling his work when you bring that in.

Disco

Your work in Frenching this is stellar. You will be like an artist unveiling his work when you bring that in.

Disco
That's what she said.
laugh1.gif

What times dinner? If I catch the next flight out do I have time to make it??? This looks like it's going to be great!!!!

OK, She's pulled 146 IT and rested. Getting close to lunch, church must be out by now, waiting for the family.

With all that smoke just setting around................

You ever see such HUGE JUMBO pecans? Note that funky mat? Ran at 100 degrees for a couple a hours, I have turned it off and its still smoking now. When I don't see anymore smoke guess I with bag and tag 'em, since everyone says let 'em mellow! I sure can't taste the spice rub I applied.

Back with more on the pork chops in a min. Gotta go works some side dishes. Fresh broccoli and cauliflower, cole slaw and Mac and cheese This is where everyone in the Hee Haw cornfield stands up and says "Yum Yum!"............ Brother in law doesn't eat all the good veggies like sweet taters and green beans and cabbage. Sheesh!

Back when I get some Bear-view.

OK, She's pulled 146 IT and rested. Getting close to lunch, church must be out by now, waiting for the family.

With all that smoke just setting around................

You ever see such HUGE JUMBO pecans? Note that funky mat? Ran at 100 degrees for a couple a hours, I have turned it off and its still smoking now. When I don't see anymore smoke guess I with bag and tag 'em, since everyone says let 'em mellow! I sure can't taste the spice rub I applied.

Back with more on the pork chops in a min. Gotta go works some side dishes. Fresh broccoli and cauliflower, cole slaw and Mac and cheese This is where everyone in the Hee Haw cornfield stands up and says "Yum Yum!"............ Brother in law doesn't eat all the good veggies like sweet taters and green beans and cabbage. Sheesh!

Back when I get some Bear-view.
Them are some whoppers!

Looks great Foam! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Boy the rosemary is really predominate.

That is going to be a good eating piece of meat!
I think Emril had the idea, we at least need smell-o-vision.

Disco
Thank you, but it made me cry when frenching them because the little hangie down piece with all that fat is my favorite piece! I guess I should have borrowed some of Brian's "garnish".

Ok, the sliced rib roast

Juicy, tender, brined perfectly........... I am just in awe of myself. It just melted and flowed between the tines of the fork when you tried to pick up for a bite. I give this meat two thumb's up, had a nice beat, good rhythm, and was easy to dance to. Myself and Betty Lou Thelma Liz really liked it.

I reached to get a spoon of the three cheese mac, nearly lost my right arm up the elbow! Brother-in-law had established a camp perimeter around it, (smoked gouda, red rind cheddar, and mozzarella. The three really blended better than I thought.

Excellent meal, I just wish I could have shared. definitely will be doing this one again, and again....... Next time with some homemade apple compote, I think a creole mustard sauce would have put it right over the top.

Thanks for checking it out. Easy, a lot of fun, fast, and OMG delightful.

We oughtta start doing live "cook alongs". I'm sure there is software where one or several people could broadcast and everyone else could tune in and watch.

Ok, the sliced rib roast

Juicy, tender, brined perfectly........... I am just in awe of myself. It just melted and flowed between the tines of the fork when you tried to pick up for a bite. I give this meat two thumb's up, had a nice beat, good rhythm, and was easy to dance to. Myself and Betty Lou Thelma Liz really liked it.

I reached to get a spoon of the three cheese mac, nearly lost my right arm up the elbow! Brother-in-law had established a camp perimeter around it, (smoked gouda, red rind cheddar, and mozzarella. The three really blended better than I thought.

Excellent meal, I just wish I could have shared. definitely will be doing this one again, and again....... Next time with some homemade apple compote, I think a creole mustard sauce would have put it right over the top.

Terrific job. You do know what you would pay for this in a restaurant!

Disco

Reactions: bdskelly

Terrific job. You do know what you would pay for this in a restaurant!

Disco
You mean a good restaurant like Hooters or a  cheap drive thru like McPorkchop? 

LOL... I really have no idea, but the Mac & 3 Cheese, and the fresh from the garden broccoli & cauliflower, definitely deserved a white linen tablecloth and pretty folded napkins.

I still have I think a 5 bone beef in the freezer, but I have decided I believe I like the pork better!

Last edited:

We oughtta start doing live "cook alongs". I'm sure there is software where one or several people could broadcast and everyone else could tune in and watch.
I could grow a beard and maybe we could get a half hour on A&E? I could be the  goofy one for the show, just walking around sniffing my hands for the smoke smell. Drinking Spiced Peach special reserve iced tea and telling silly war stories.

Ok, the sliced rib roast

It's a beautiful thing. ….Like Crabtree crossing the goal line.  Points!

B

Ok, the sliced rib roast

Oh my word . That looks amazing. Nice job.

It's a beautiful thing. ….Like Crabtree crossing the goal line.  Points!

B
Ya know that is an icon we need, the like guy extending his arms signaling a touchdown!. There used to be a Lutheran church in Odessa Texas, on the roof above the sanctuary was a statue of Jesus with his arms raised to the sky in praise, everyone in town referred to it as the touchdown Jesus church.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky