Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlloyd99

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 13, 2006
Chillicothe MO
Tornado warnings be dammed, we're smoking anyway! Yesterday the boy and I smoked a pork butt that turned out wonderfull. We thought we might have to deal with a little rain but instead ended up watching for tornados. The morning started around 9 am. I took the roast out of the fridge where it had been resting over night all rubbed up and waiting to be smoked. I let it come up to room temp and sprinkled on a bit more rub while the boy was getting the smoker all ready. Then I put on the roast and headed out to a bridal shower which was cut short by the sherrifs department evacuating us to a nearby shelter. Meanwhile back at the ranch the boy had to move the smoker into the garage to aviod the rains and winds but luckily did not have to seek out shelter in the basement. So we smoked on. I finally made it home to cook up some side dishes of Potatoes Au Gratin, Corn, and Fresh Bread. We took the roast out at about 165 or so and sliced it up for serving. I also whiped up a BBQ sauce the day before. It tasted just fine but is real runny so the next batch is going to get a bit of corn starch to thincken it up I think. All in all a good weekend and thankfully we missed the tornadoes.

We were under a tornado watch for a few hours Friday evening, nothing even close to threatening though.

Glad ya'll are safe and the Que was good. :D

You right Lady J!! Why let a few raindrops and some wind ruin your fun!!! What kind of 'Que sauce did you make and did you cook it? I find that some cooked sauces look a little thin when cooked/simmered the required time. So I just let it simmer away until it's the thickness that I like.

Here is the sauce recipe I used.

3/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 c. vinegar (I used cider)
1/3 c. lemon juice
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. water
2 T. paprika
1 1/8 c. catsup
2 T. salt
2 T. dry mustard
pepper to taste

I used 2 T. of my leftover rub mix intead of the listed spices. Per the instructions I mixed everything together, brought it to a boil and then simmered for 15 min. it was so thin I let it go another 10 or so but with no signs of thickening. The butter also tends to seperate if you don't whisk constantly and I figured a little cornstarch would bring everything together and thicken it up. Like I said earlier it tastes wonderful, just very thin. I have two jars left from this batch (it made about 3 pints) so I may just have to experiment with them when I go to reheat.

Okay, It looks like a great recipe Lady J, I would reduce the water to 1 c., then let it simmer for 30 minutes. I would only add the additional 1/2 cup water by the Tablespoon full until the sauce reaches the consistancy that you like. You might want to try leaving the butter out until the very end and then adding it. You won't have to 'whisk' as often.

MissJ, very glad to hear from you today. Glad you're ok. Was a rough night in the MW last night. I have several friends in the Columbia area, and a few more from around Sedalia from another Q forum. Got in touch with all of them today and fortunately all are OK save a little minor vehicle damage.
Prayers to those less fortunate.

Glad you got your cook done. Sauce looks like a good one, I'll have to give it a try. Dutch has you headed in the right direction with it.

An update on the sauce front. It makes a wonderful finishing sauce for pulled pork. I broke out one of the jars from the fist batch and used it on the leftover pork butt. I pulled the meat, added some sliced onion and the jar of sauce. We've decided to use this recipe as a finishing sauce and I'll experiment with some others for dipping sauces. I was going to try the corn starch but alas forgot to bring it along in my crate of goodies for the weekend, guess we'll work on that expierament next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky