Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

o0infidel0o

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Graham, WA
Decided to try my hand at a pork butt this weekend. Surfed the forums and found many tips and put them to good use. Coated the butt in mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub and let sit in the fridge for a day. Tossed it on the smoker around 0500 this morning, wrapped in foil and gave it a shot of apple juice once it hit 165*F...and waited patiently until it hit 205*F. Removed from grill, wrapped in towel and let it set for an hour.

Used SoFlaQuer's recipe for a finishing sauce and a BBQ sauce recipe I found elsewhere online consisting of Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ sauce, Cherry Dr. Pepper, and brown sugar.

It was tasty... :PDT_Armataz_01_34:

icon_cool.gif

Now you have done really good there Chad specially for your first time too. So Keep on Smoking.

Thanks all. It was an interesting smoke. It took longer than I was originally anticipating, overall it took ten hours for a 6.5lb butt @ 225*F. The internal temperature took quite a while to get up to 205*F after I put it in foil. I'm guessing it was because I also put it in a pan. Either way, it turned out just fine. Looking forward to more... :PDT_Armataz_01_34:

Last edited:
Took no pics but cooked a 6 lb butt at 230 for 10.5 hrs ... foiled after 5 hrs at 155 ... pulled at 10.5 hrs at 205 and rested for two hrs....

Mighty fine...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky