Pork butt stall

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
Can butts stall around the 150 mark? Mine seem to have done so. They been on for 6 hrs now. Also when I wrap I normally wrap in tin foil, what do you think about putting it in a foil pan instead? Thanks

Almost at 160 going to wrap then it will be 7hrs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 17
Going to wrap my normal way in foil

Can butts stall around the 150 mark? Mine seem to have done so. They been on for 6 hrs now. Also when I wrap I normally wrap in tin foil, what do you think about putting it in a foil pan instead? Thanks
Yep, happens every time around 160. I've had better luck with the bark by wrapping in pink paper or not at all for a firmer bark. That's how my wife likes it but I prefer a softer bark. But as you know "a happy wife is a happy life".

i agree i allow 12-18 hours depending on size.. if want it in 5 hours twist it . the rod cooks the inside. just put chunks on the grill.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I've seen butts stall as low as 140 and as high as mid 170s. I've seen stalls last 2 hours up to 7 hours. They can also stall 2-3 more times on their way to 200F+. Stalls drove my analytical mind nuts. Consequently, I stopped using my meat probes during the smoke. At 225, I don't even probe a 8-9 lb butt until it's been in the smoker 10-12 hours. Then I probe for tenderness and just note the temp. Makes for a relaxed smoke and a nice sleep on overnight smokes. I'll crank the heat up in the morning to finish the smoke in 3-5 hours.

If I am not in a hurry I’ll let it ride, if I’m in a little bit of a time crunch I’ll bring the temp up to 260-290* to get past the stall then bring the temp back down after it clears 170*. If I’m running close on what time I need it to be finished I’ll wrap whenever I notice the stall. At that point I’ve even heard of people finishing it in an oven if it makes it easier. Never tried that but just another option!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky