Pork Butt reheat question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wasi

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
So next weekend is our Fantasy Football draft and I offered up smoking pork butt for the draft. I know I am going to have to cook 2 butts to feed everyone and going to have to do it the day before because the draft is early. I have never really smoked the day before and reheated it so I am looking for some advice. Here is the steps I am planning to do.

1. The night before I smoke it season the butt and let it sit overnight.
2. Smoke the butt until it reaches temp.
3. Pull out the bones and wrap them and let them sit in a cooler for a few hours.
4. Pull the pork and place it in a disposable roasting pan and put it in the fridge for the night.
5. The day of the draft show up the draft about 2 hours early, lightly spritz the pork with apple juice and then place it in the crock pots and set it on low and then serve.

I really want to turn in some good pulled pork so please let me know if you see any flaws or issues with the outlined steps above.

Thanks.

Sounds like a good plan. The only thing I might add is to save the drippings from smoking the pork and add those to the crock pot along with the pork. Not the fat, just the delicious meat juices. Makes a world of difference.

Try putting a finishing sauce on one before you put it in the fridge for the night you wont regret it.

Here is the recipe I use from another member on this site.

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Reactions: Binford 6100
Here is the recipe I use from another member on this site.

Soflaquer's Finishing Sauce
1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.
That is Soflaquer's Finishing Sauce, it is excellent on pulled pork, and has a long and well deserved good reputation here.
He should be credited and/or linked.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/soflaquers-finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.51933/

Old smoker has the same plan I use
Sounds like a good plan. The only thing I might add is to save the drippings from smoking the pork and add those to the crock pot along with the pork. Not the fat, just the delicious meat juices. Makes a world of difference.
I just mix in the same rub I used on the butt with the drippings. Fill crock pot with meat and add drippings. I do this for work when I take in pulled pork

Old smoker has the same plan I use

I just mix in the same rub I used on the butt with the drippings. Fill crock pot with meat and add drippings. I do this for
work when I take in pulled pork

I would love to save the dripping but I smoke directly on the grate and there is no way I can get a pan under the grates as I have the tuning plates there for the reverse flow.

Sounds fine to me. You could also just use the oven to warm it up. I do that and have no issues.
I have mine double foiled and sitting in a foil pan. I pop in a meat probe and stick in the oven and warm up at like 350F or whatever temp you need to warm it up it.
When I pull it I shred it and add any additional seasoning or some bbq sauce/broth/etc. if needed. Works like a charm AND the smoker flavor is always better on day 2 :)

I would love to save the dripping but I smoke directly on the grate and there is no way I can get a pan under the grates as I have the tuning plates there for the reverse flow.
Set it in an aluminum pan. I did fourteen this way, didn't notice a difference in smokiness.

Reactions: wbf610

Do it in a pan as mentioned, could even put a rack in the pan to elevate it so smoke can hit the bottom of the butt.

That is Soflaquer's Finishing Sauce, it is excellent on pulled pork, and has a long and well deserved good reputation here.
He should be credited and/or linked.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/soflaquers-finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.51933/
Yup thanks I did say it was from another member I just didn't remember who but that's the one! The recipe is in a word document with a bunch of others that I have saved so don't really remember what one is from who

And on second thought I would add the finishing sauce after you reheat it maybe?

Well the draft was Saturday and the pork turned out great (much better than my fantasy team). Attached are the results of the smoke. Thanks for all the advice. The crockpot worked great.

Attachments

• 20180824_052652.jpg
    20180824_052652.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180824_053243.jpg
    20180824_053243.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180824_152324.jpg
    20180824_152324.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180824_153420.jpg
    20180824_153420.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 21
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky