Pork butt - + question/thoughts on pellet smoke level

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

parrot-head

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
N Ky.
Pics from latest pork butt from yesterday.  Was quite a long smoke as I started it about 7 p.m. for an overnight smoke.  When I got up it was around 168, so it was progressing nicely.

Problem is, I had to run an errand and forgot to increase the timer.  When I came back, I noticed it had lost about 10 degrees and the smoker temp had dropped to 130.

I immediately thought to myself..."you idiot, forgot to increase the time".  Anyway, got it back on track and finished in time for dinner.

One thing I have been realizing lately is that it is quite obvious (to me, at least) that pellets do not give the same amount of smoke flavor as chips do. I remember when I first got my smoker I did my first butt with chips and I can remember the smoke taste would linger in my mouth for quite a while..not the same with pellets.  I am thinking this is one of the reasons my wife has preferred my previous smokes more, because she isn't that into smoked meats as I am and the pellets just seem to have a milder smoke flavor in the end.
I'm thinking the next time I have a long smoke, I'm going to try chips for the first few hours and then switch to pellets for the overnight.

Has anyone else come to a similar conclusion?

Pics from latest pork butt from yesterday.  Was quite a long smoke as I started it about 7 p.m. for an overnight smoke.  When I got up it was around 168, so it was progressing nicely.

Problem is, I had to run an errand and forgot to increase the timer.  When I came back, I noticed it had lost about 10 degrees and the smoker temp had dropped to 130.

I immediately thought to myself..."you idiot, forgot to increase the time".  Anyway, got it back on track and finished in time for dinner.

One thing I have been realizing lately is that it is quite obvious (to me, at least) that pellets do not give the same amount of smoke flavor as chips do. I remember when I first got my smoker I did my first butt with chips and I can remember the smoke taste would linger in my mouth for quite a while..not the same with pellets.  I am thinking this is one of the reasons my wife has preferred my previous smokes more, because she isn't that into smoked meats as I am and the pellets just seem to have a milder smoke flavor in the end.
I'm thinking the next time I have a long smoke, I'm going to try chips for the first few hours and then switch to pellets for the overnight.

Has anyone else come to a similar conclusion?
You are correct about the pellets don't have the same taste as wood chips. The wood chips have a much better flavor than the pellets, but are a pain in the "A" having to add wood chips every 20 minutes or so. I have mentioned this several times in the past here also.

For 1  or 1 1/2  hr smokes, I sometimes still use wood chips, especially on 1 hr smokes, but anything longer, I use pellets.

PaRRot-HeaD,
Pellets are more mild in the Mes than chunks in my Kamado. They are even more mild with the mailbox mod. My lady prefers mild and I like to change it up but havent used my Kamado much since I got the Mes 40 Gen 1 over a year ago. I did your poor man's burnt ends I need to start a thread on.
-Kurt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky