Pork Butt on WSM - Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mule86

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Few pictures from my smoke on Saturday.  Best pork butt I've smoked to date.  Finished it off with Soflaquer's finishing sauce.

176d47ec_3.jpg

0e507916_2.jpg

defcf390_1.jpg

I used the Renowned Mr. Brown method from the WSM site.  First time I've used it and it turned out fantastic.  I didn't mop it and didn't foil it either.  The WSM was running a little hot (275-290) throughout the entire cook.  I used a clay saucer, no water and it was in direct sunlight, 90 degree day.  I like to cook pork butt's a little hotter.  The WSM thermometer was dialed in at 250 but my Maverick which I fed through the top vent was about 25-30 degrees warmer.  Meat went on at 7:45am and came off at 4:15pm.  One hour rest and pulled.  I closed down the WSM after almost 9 hrs on one ring of charcoal and I still had about half of a ring left that could be re-used.  I bet I could have gotten anoter 6 hours out of that single load of charcoal if needed.  The WSM continues to impress!

Last edited:
That is running hot...LOL....I did a butt and a chuckie this weekend on my 18.5 WSM. I got her to run at ~235 for over 12 hours on a full ring mixed with Cowboy lump and Kingsford Competiton

Also, that's some sweet looking piggy you have there...

Last edited:
Whats the Mr. Brown method? Minion?
It's basically a rub/mop method.  Minion method is used.  Previous pork butt's I've done have been good, but this one seemed to have more flavor from the rub.  I found it on the virtual weber bullet website under cooking topics.

I didn't do the mop, but I may try it with my next one to see how it is.

ha there, that pork butt looks awesome, I'm glad that it worked out, one question do you have tin foil covering over the top of your water pan, or do you have it covering the bottom.

ha there, that pork butt looks awesome, I'm glad that it worked out, one question do you have tin foil covering over the top of your water pan, or do you have it covering the bottom.
I foil the bottom of the water pan, leave it dry, and foil a clay saucer and set it in the water pan.  In the first picture, the foil you see in the smoker is the clay saucer foiled in the water pan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky