Pork butt on the Old Smokey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TxwrightxT

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 15, 2019
Bacliff, Texas
Well I’m back at it this week! Trying out a pork butt today. Hopefully I’ll have some delicious pulled pork for dinner tonight!
B434353D-7223-4D50-9E71-DAC8F0534818.jpeg

6B1A4A20-0833-4ED5-A5EB-54FA2DA4E7F7.jpeg

Does it matter what you run in your drip pans? I’ve been using beer cause there’s no shortage of that while I’m out here lol.

A few hours in and things seem to be going much more smoothly than last week with the ribs!
73DE67B1-2DE4-47F2-B8F4-F4D7AD87EAEF.jpeg

FE6465ED-40B4-442C-848D-2A94140DBA93.jpeg

Went ahead and switched it to fat cap up. I’ve read differing opinions on this. If I was just grilling without anything to divert the heat, I would probably leave it fat cap down. Seeing as it’s my first pork butt I’ll see how it goes and determine if I should do it differently next time.

It's looking very good. It does not matter what you put in your drip pan, they are there to provide moisture and have negligible impact on the final flavor profile.

As far as fat cap up or down, IMO there is so much fat within the muscle tissue to provide moisture and flavor that it doesn't matter if up or down.

Let us know how it turns out.

It's looking very good. It does not matter what you put in your drip pan, they are there to provide moisture and have negligible impact on the final flavor profile.

As far as fat cap up or down, IMO there is so much fat within the muscle tissue to provide moisture and flavor that it doesn't matter if up or down.

Let us know how it turns out.
Well it sounds like I’m just wasting good beer then. Water it is next time! lol

So my I.T. stalled at about 150. I went ahead and got rid of my drip pans and heat deflector and went to direct heat and turned up the fire a bit. I would like to have dinner sometime in the near future lol.

The only time I use something other then water in the drip pan is if I gonna use the liquid for a sauce after. Two regular forks will work for pulling. The butt looks good. Nice Job.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
What temp did you pull it at? Looks like you didn't let it go long enough(200+) to get pulled pork but your sliced pork looks great! Bet it was tasty!

I pulled it around 190-195. I know it was a little early, but I plan on using half of it to make a pot of collard greens for dinner tonight. So I didn’t want it to fall apart too easily. But sliced and chopped it was absolutely delicious!

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky