Pork Butt - Done in 5 Hours?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
I washed, trimmed and rubbed 2 pork shoulders (Boston Butts) last night and put them in the reefer. I got up later than I planned this AM and lit a fire in my Old Country Brazos and waited for it to warm up to 200° F then put the 2 butts on the cooking rack and closed up at 1025 hrs. I set a timer on my phone and checked every 40 minutes to be sure the temp was steady. I added wood (oak) and got the temp up to between 245-255° where it has held all day. About 10 minutes ago I put my newest thermometer - an Oregon Scientific W131 wifi 'talking' unit - in the largest piece and got it pretty well centered in the cut. I was shocked to see it read 204° right off the bat. I've never used this thermo before; so I'm not sure I trust it all that much. Could these things have gotten done in just over 5 hours? I've never had any cook that fast before. I haven't done any smoking since last April due to summer heat in Texas and a badly messed up pinky finger (don't ask); now I'm doubting myself after having cooked maybe a couple dozen butts over the last 6 years.\

UPDATE: I broke out my old trusty Thermopop and checked temps. The one that the OS AW131 is showing at 207° shows at 194° on the Thermopop. The other one - which I didn't check with the OS AW131 0 reads 184 on the Thermopop. Lesson for an old fool: calibrate your thermos before you use them. (sound of palm slapping forehead). I'm guessing another couple of hours, maybe.

Last edited:
Hopefully when you calibrate them they are closer than 13*F apart. Lotsa great reviews on the thermopop. Otherwise I'd call OS.
-Kurt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky