Pork butt cut into boneless pork steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steves8860

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 17, 2021
I have come across boneless pork steaks at a store and like them. I heard that you can take a boned pork butt and cut it so that some would be used for pull pork and some could be sliced into pork steaks without the bone. About the diameter of a hamburger.

I've never smoked pork butt. I figure this may be a way to get two things out of it.
I looked for videos but don't seem to find anything.

Yea they sure usually cut with the blade bone in them. I have had them several times, cause they are cheap, and we SV’d them & they were excellent!
Al
Yeah, SV pork steaks are good.

BTW, I think someone mentioned Al' s Rib method. I couldn't find it. If that was referring to you where can I find it?

Yeah, SV pork steaks are good.

Im brining them and smoking them. Great sandwich.

BTW, I think someone mentioned Al' s Rib method. I couldn't find it. If that was referring to you where can I find it?

Yup! Its on the menu tonight actually! Butts are so versatile. You can definitely debone and cut into steaks. I do this often and the trim and smaller pieces get ground for sausage. You could definatly save a larger piece for bbqing to the fall apart (pulling) stage
A perfect cut to practice your knife skills on! You really cant mess it up.

Reactions: steves8860
I have come across boneless pork steaks at a store and like them. I heard that you can take a boned pork butt and cut it so that some would be used for pull pork and some could be sliced into pork steaks without the bone. About the diameter of a hamburger.

I've never smoked pork butt. I figure this may be a way to get two things out of it.

A pork butt is so versatile because it has so many muscles to choose from. You can easily cut your own pork steaks (or thicker country ribs), and if you invest in a meat saw you can have bone-in pork steaks. You simply cut as deep as you can with your knife, then make a few licks with a saw and you are there. Or, you can cut off the end with the blade bone and cook it as a 'horn roast', then make steaks out of the rest. Or you can do the opposite.... if you cut off the 'Coppa end' of the butt it can be cooked for slicing. This is a Coppa roast from the money muscle end, and the slices you get from them. Smoke to about 190° internal and they will cut with a fork.
u7j7yqG.jpg
vTUiLqK.jpg

This diagram will help you orient yourself with the direction for slicing pork steaks.

VCND3PS.jpg

Reactions: steves8860
Yea they sure usually cut with the blade bone in them. I have had them several times, cause they are cheap, and we SV’d them & they were excellent!
Al

I had them a couple times, years ago, but since Covid My stores don't carry them. If you want to cut your own with the bone in, you gotta get a Band Saw.

Bear

Here's some I did today

Attachments

• 20210804_193404.jpg
    20210804_193404.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 76
Yup! Its on the menu tonight actually! Butts are so versatile. You can definitely debone and cut into steaks. I do this often and the trim and smaller pieces get ground for sausage. You could definately save a larger piece for bbqing to the fall apart (pulling) stage
A perfect cut to practice your knife skills on! You really cant mess it up.
Dinner tonight. These I cut from a boneless shoulder.
20210804_185424.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky