Pork butt and back ribs today. Quire!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lordl

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
The benefits of working most weekends leaves me with the opportunity to have a great day off on a Monday.

Picked up two bone out pork butts and 10 racks of ribs Friday.

Hit both the racks and butts with dry rub Saturday after to get ready for the smoker this morning. I personally like to rub the meat well ahead of time. Just personal preference and in my experience found the flavour hit nicer over that period

Drove out to the country where we have the smoker and got it nice and hot this morning. I prefer to get the smoker blazing hot and then modify after an hour of heat.

Smoker was sitting at roughly 225 at the point I put the butts in. I am using a mix of Apple and cherry logs with an initial blast of cherry chips (soaked in cherry juice) for the first 2 hrs of the smoke. I like to hit the meat with intense flavour at the beginning of the smoke then scale back to just logs for the remainder of the smoke

Ribs will hit the smoker in about an hour. I like to use the 2-2-1 method. Foiling in the middle. Found that the 3 hours at the beginning is a little too long. Have found in the past that if I hold onto about 2-2-1 I get a more firm rib.
4dc21e10fb9b1e3a7cdaaa1fd7efbb4c.jpg
3e4e2451ffdbee748408560376db7f5f.jpg
7ad7caca5e5b3dd5f8a02ff87abc7536.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q-view!!

About the smoker.

Well it cost my father-in-law and I absolutely zero dollars.

Oil drum and old wood stove were both trash we picked up from friends.

The design was trial and error mostly. We've got it to the point where we like it now and it smokes perfectly.

About the tubs, they are perfect to hold all the beer when we have a lot of company. Fill em up with ice in the shade and they are good to go!

a1ceb207b05602de5cc64dd5aa480790.jpg
bf5f523ec4c64729aaaeeb8b019b60c3.jpg
couple pictures of the set up. We decided against the reverse flow due to the length the smoke travels from the heat source to the unit holding the meat

Cold and hot!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky