Pork belly question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

labradave

Original poster
Jun 9, 2016
Labrador
Unfortunately, I live in a isolated community with one grocery store and a limited selection, fortunately though they've just started selling pork belly, but only in strips. Usually cut about 3/4 inch thick. Had to try some
Used a pork rub my grandfather makes, and put em on my mini wsm at 225.
After smoking I put them skin side down over direct heat to crisp up the skin, but it still came out a little tougher than I'd like. Any suggestions to crisp the skin without making it too tough?

Never tried this but start crisping the skin sooner so the meat doesn't get over done?

Great suggestion! I probably did have it cooking too long. Will cut the cook time next time before I put it to direct heat. Thanks for the reply!

I didn't have enough room on the mini wsm so I put one piece on a propane grill on higher heat, the skin was definitely better but the meat was tougher, I guess finding a happy medium is what I'm going to have to do, that or see if I can get a full belly ordered before they cut it. Thanks for the reply!

Filet the skin from the belly meat...  It should come off about the thickness of a beer box or thinner...    save for cracklins..   pork rinds..  then smoke the belly...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky