Pork Belly Prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
For the most part pork bellies are non-existent around me, but I was in a Food Lion store recently and there they were...Swift brand. I looked at them and they seemed really thin, less than an inch thick, mostly fat and no skin for $5.49/lb. For those of you who have better access to them or buy them often, is the price out of line for what they're selling? They just didn't seem all that nice to me and maybe I could have really dug through them and found a nicer looking one or two, but I wasn't impressed. Maybe I just don't really know what they should look like...

Don't buy those. I'm like you and it's hard to find pork belly. Local store sells the Hormel kind and they are like you described. I do get them sometimes for pork belly burnt ends but they wouldn't make good bacon imo. May be worth digging through them and looking for a nicer one if you just want to get your feet wet in bacon making

Last edited:
If you are anywhere near Charlotte NC, Super G Mart has them all of the time. They are stupid expensive (or were a few months ago), I want to say 7$+ per lb.

Pre-pandemic they were ~3$ lb there and pretty good quality and selection.

We have 1 Food Lion in Rock Hill that has those bellies you speak of. I wasn't paying what they were asking either. I got 2 on clearance for something like 3.69$ lb 2 weeks ago and was sad when I busted them open because they are streak-o-lean at best. I like to just oven bake belly once in a while but these went straight to cure due to that. The biggest ones are maybe 6lbs. My 2 were smaller.

They've been carrying them about a month or 6 weeks now. I check for clearance once a week, sometimes twice and those were the only 2 I've scored so far.

I miss Bi-Lo. They had good belly cheap and it was 2 miles from me.

Thanks Jake. I'm thinking like you, but it's just nice to see what I'm buying. I'll stay away, but I do want to try and make some bacon...

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks Jake. I'm thinking like you, but it's just nice to see what I'm buying. I'll stay away, but I do want to try and make some bacon...
Wild fork has Berkshire half bellies at $7.98 lb. Kinda pricey but to put in perspective my last belly came from home place pasture and was around 10 bucks a lb

If you have a GFS you can see if they have belly
The closest thing we have to GFS is The Chef's Store which is a US Foods store. Their website says they carry them so I'll check there next time I'm near. Thanks...

I can get pork bellies at my local butcher shop for $7.69/#. Some of the pigs from home place pastures, and some come from a farm in Indiana. Hate to say it, but the pork from Indiana is much better for what I do with it making salumi. That farm knows how to feed a pig properly.

For the most part pork bellies are non-existent around me, but I was in a Food Lion store recently and there they were...Swift brand. I looked at them and they seemed really thin, less than an inch thick, mostly fat and no skin for $5.49/lb. For those of you who have better access to them or buy them often, is the price out of line for what they're selling? They just didn't seem all that nice to me and maybe I could have really dug through them and found a nicer looking one or two, but I wasn't impressed. Maybe I just don't really know what they should look like...

Don't buy those. I'm like you and it's hard to find pork belly. Local store sells the Hormel kind and they are like you described. I do get them sometimes for pork belly burnt ends but they wouldn't make good bacon imo. May be worth digging through them and looking for a nicer one if you just want to get your feet wet in bacon making
Well I feel foolish now. I just got a couple From FL two weeks ago for $4.99 / lb and made good bacon with them.
I have two more halves to slice up still. They aren't terribly thick but sliced thick and laid out, it's better than the laser cut stuff you buy 12 oz at a time.

Well I feel foolish now. I just got a couple From FL two weeks ago for $4.99 / lb and made good bacon with them.
I have two more halves to slice up still. They aren't terribly thick but sliced thick and laid out, it's better than the laser cut stuff you buy 12 oz at a time.
I was just giving my experience with thin bellies. Glad yours worked out

I was just giving my experience with thin bellies. Glad yours worked out
I used to have a great source for bellies in Queen Creek, AZ.. The Pork Shop. I had to order them uncured as well as my hams because they would make bacon with them right away.
Since moving to SC these Swift bellies were the first I've seen anywhere. Make what ya can with what ya have ya know.
I was not offended, But the irony of the post was like a kid going out with a new bike only to find out from others that its a POS...lol

I used to have a great source for bellies in Queen Creek, AZ.. The Pork Shop. I had to order them uncured as well as my hams because they would make bacon with them right away.
Since moving to SC these Swift bellies were the first I've seen anywhere. Make what ya can with what ya have ya know.
I was not offended, But the irony of the post was like a kid going out with a new bike only to find out from others that its a POS...lol
Charles is a good friend of mine. I'm sure he didn't think I was busting his nuts. Last sentence in my op was get one that looks good and get your feet wet

Belly is kinda hard to get in quality fashion unless you know a pork producer. That said, there is no shame in making buckboard bacon from a butt. If you get a well marbled one they make very good bacon and you can make the slabs whatever thickness you like. Just a thought.

I'll stay away, but I do want to try and make some bacon...
Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke Charles , this is the fat cap side of the bone from a pork butt . When I buy butts for sausage if that side of the bone is thick enough , and looks like bacon , I use it for bacon .
1663804793744.jpeg
1663804742970.jpeg
1663804712266.jpeg
1663804963820.jpeg

I forget where you are located in SC my friend since I've been out of the net for a year or so, but I'm coming back. YE HA!

Take a look at the meat supply found in the US Chef Stores (US Foods) located in Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Columbia or Charlotte. I buy my primal cuts at the one in Columbia, and their ground pork for my sausage (just call me lazy?!) with great comments, especially on my 10 Spice Kielbasa.

There is no membership fee and the store is open to the public. The food items are general restaurant food supplies, size and type, where I have made supply runs for some of our local restaurants when they were running low on items. We have been using the Columbia store for over 5 years and have never been disappointed. Be aware, they only accept credit cards, No Cash.

Here the link to their site. https://www.chefstore.com/

Prost!
John🍻

Belly is kinda hard to get in quality fashion unless you know a pork producer. That said, there is no shame in making buckboard bacon from a butt. If you get a well marbled one they make very good bacon and you can make the slabs whatever thickness you like. Just a thought.
Yes indeed. I have five pieces of butt (that I got when I bought the belly) in some of Pop's embalming fluid. They will be over smoke tomorrow night.

We are lucky Costco has whole bellies usually for $3.99/lb and the 1.5" cut ones with no skin for maybe $4.99. Those are perfect for cutting down for burnt ends

Thanks bud . You'd be hard pressed to know that wasn't belly .
I have 2 pork cushions in umai bags . Cured 2 weeks rinsed and into the bags for the wait.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky