Pork belly costs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billm75

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
hey guys, for those of you who buy pork belly to turn into bacon, how large of a piece of meat are you getting and roughly what does it cost you?

I found one place online that's wanting nearly $50 for 8lbs of pork belly.  If that's how much I'm going to pay for bacon, I think I have to stick with Buckboard style when I get started here soon.

Any input is appreciated, and no, I haven't checked with the butcher shop just yet.

Last edited:
Check with the butcher shop!!  They should be happy to order a 3 piece (1/2) case for you.  About 13lbs per slab  so about 40 lbs of green bacon.   Cost depends on price of pork.  I paid 1.69 lb 3 months ago and 1.89 lb last week.   If you find a smaller butcher willing to work with you and you develop a good relationship with them they will usually do anything they can for you.  In this instance I think the Mom and Pop shop is the place to go. 

Al

Where do you live?

In  Atlanta 2.49 is the normal price for skin on large pieces.

What they are chaeging you (over $6 lb ) is rediculos. You can buy some really great bacon allready smoked and sliced for that.

If i had to pay that for bellies i wouldn't bother.

Thanks guys, that base pricing helps me a bunch.  I'll be giving the butcher a call this week.

I'm in Columbia, SC, and like I had mentioned, I haven't checked around much locally.  But I plan to now.

Last edited:
Last time it was about $2.60 #  I am picking up 20# tomorrow so I will let you know

Hi all,

I live in Gainesville, GA and am trying to find a place local to buy Pork Belly but so far have had no luck.  I'd like to avoid driving in to Atlanta if I can (moved up here to get away from those 20 mile 2 hour commutes)!

I've been through the phone book and called all the local butchers/supermarkets I can find with no luck.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated!  I *will* drive to Atlanta if I have no other choice!!

Thanks folks,

Ben

Check w/ any hispanic or oriental mkts around .I have found that the hispanic mkts that have a butcher shop usually have pork belliies.

Hi all,

I live in Gainesville, GA and am trying to find a place local to buy Pork Belly but so far have had no luck.  I'd like to avoid driving in to Atlanta if I can (moved up here to get away from those 20 mile 2 hour commutes)!

I've been through the phone book and called all the local butchers/supermarkets I can find with no luck.  Any help would be sincerely appreciated!  I *will* drive to Atlanta if I have no other choice!!

Thanks folks,

Ben
There is a new Super H Mart in Suwanee.

http://www.hmart.com/company_new/shop_store.asp?store_code=SWN  

Have fun. I have a few posts about my shopping experience there. See the butcher, negotiate the price for the big piece.

OH Yeah ..the help dont speak much english.

Have a great day

Craig

Thanks for the quick replies.  I will see if the roads are clear enough to run down to Super H today -- since I'm officially off
biggrin.gif

Craig, I read elsewhere that you made some bacon using BC's recipe -- would you have a link to that?  I've read enough to where I think I'll do fine - but if you have one you love I'd love to give it a try!

Thanks much guys -> looking forward to my first batch of bacon....then it's off to find juniper berries for pastrami!!

I generally have to pay 2.25-2.59 for bellies tho last year I did get some wholesale for 1.04 a lb. I'm hoping to get a good price on some soon as I'm now out of bacon
mad.gif

We have a place here that is a meat purveyor, you know the place that all the local restaurants buy their meat from.  They have a store on the side of the building and they have the best prices in town by far. 

I bought a 11.5# belly from there last week and paid $1.79/lb

on a side note, I bought a 10lb box of chicken wings there for new years and only paid $1.49/lb....that's awesome....
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited:
We have a place here that is a meat purveyor, you know the place that all the local restaurants buy their meat from.  They have a store on the side of the building and they have the best prices in town by far. 

I bought a 11.5# belly from there last week and paid $1.79/lb

on a side note, I bought a 10lb box of chicken wings there for new years and only paid $1.49....that's awesome....
icon_mrgreen.gif
You paid $1.49 for 10lbs of wings???  Man, I'd be living in some wings for that price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky