Pork belly burnt ends does and donts for first timers advice!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tulkas13

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 11, 2020
I'm planning for 4th of july on doing my first pork belly burnt ends n I'd like some advice!
I'm using a webbee rocky mountain smoker.
Still trying to figure out bout how many pounds to do and all n how to do it. So I figured I'd ask all the experts on here for some great advice. :-)
Anything is appreciated!! Thank you!

Reactions: JLeonard
This was my first attempt. They came out pretty good.

Chris

It takes the same amount of time to make 3 pounds as it does 6 pounds etc so make the most that you can. It'll get eaten .. trust me.

Don't cut the pieces too small to begin with.. they'll shrink and you don't want then to fall through the grates. I try for about 1 1/2 inches.

Make sure you have a sharp knife and a good cutting board. Foil pans work best. There's a hundred ways to make these.. just take your time as with anything else and think your flavors through before starting.

I think on your first try make more than your guess, but switch up the technique with respect to sauce and seasonings. This way you will have some extra for sampling. For example I don't use near the amount of sugar, sauce and butter as some do during the rendering step. That said.... I've always preferred less sweet and saucy burnt end so I kind of mirrored my PBBE's after brisket burnt ends. The best tip is you can probably cook them longer than you think because they tender up earlier than brisket burnt ends, and just get better and better.

Mine look like this.

xgkqFBR.jpg

Reactions: PPG1
This was my first attempt. They came out pretty good.

Chris
Damn man those looks awesome!
I'm def nervous lol I'm only issue is just figuring out how big. Int thinking 10 pounder. Were all big eaters. Plus left overs wont go toneaste lol.

Reactions: Hamdrew
Probably a safe bet to get a full belly, then. They'll lose a lot of weight as it cooks out.

Reactions: PPG1
Damn man those looks awesome!
I'm def nervous lol I'm only issue is just figuring out how big. Int thinking 10 pounder. Were all big eaters. Plus left overs wont go toneaste lol.

I would offer a variety of different snacks then. Maybe toss some moinks, abts or pork shots to the menu. To much of one thing isn't always good.

Chris

Reactions: PPG1 and 912smoker
I do mine much different, I smoke the belly in 5x5 squares then hold them in the fridge over night then cut into cubes, pan sear and braise in a pan over the stove. That way I don’t worry about timing for the meal. I know it’s not traditional but it’s consistent.

Just heard from my source.
I was ordering a 10 pound pork belly skin off. But was told it probably be smaller then that. So I paid for a 8.5.
Got a call from them this morning they got the skin off one in last night turns out its alittle smaller then originally thought it would be sadly. So there also gonna send me a 2nd piece but its gonna be skin on.
Is there anything I need to do different to it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky