Porchetta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
Been a while since I posted anything in the forum, life and personal issues have precluded my being here. Never the less I have not stopped smoking meat !!! Here's a fun one to try, the Italian Prorchetta.

A Porchetta (pronounced por-ketta) is yet another example of the national cuisine of Italy. Like the Filipino Lechon, it is a whole pig roasted over coals until the meat is done and the skin is crackling crisp. It's traditionally done by de-boning a pig and stuffing it with herbs and fennel bulbs, tying it up and roasting it on a spit.

When Italian immigrants came to the States, Porchetta morphed into a much smaller and easier preparation, one that is popularized today using pork belly and tenderloin with lots of herb filling. I'd always wanted to try one on the smoker and did so over the weekend. The game plan was to use a belly with skin on and roll a small pork tenderloin into the middle and smoke. Unfortunately the belly was too thick to roll so taking a cue fro Scott Rae on You Tube, I splayed it open along one of the natural seams of the meat so I could get a better tuck and roll.....

por 01.jpg

.....flipping it over to the skin side I got a sharp knife and scored the skin. That accomplishes two things, it provides grooves in which salt can better penetrate (key to the development of the crackling) as well as preventing the skin from bubbling and bursting during the roasting process....

por 02.jpg

....I then salted both sides thoroughly rubbing it into the skin and the cut grooves. One side note, the scoring should not penetrate the skin down to the meat. Unfortunately I got pretty deep, regardless I saw no ill effect from doing so.

After dry brining in the refrig over night, the meat was ready to be seasoned and rolled. The skin came out perfect, almost like shoe leather, ensuring the development of that much sought after golden crackling. Next I cut up and mixed a bunch of herbs and garlic for the inside of the roll......

por 03.jpg

...once that was done I started by rubbing some olive oil over the tenderloins I intended to roll into the middle, seasoned them and rubbed the herb mixture generous all over them. I then took my belly, skin side up, and seasoned only the flap of meat on the outside, keeping the skin dry and free from any seasoning or herbs....

por 04.jpg

....then flipping it over I start with a generous pork seasoning. The traditional recipe rolls in fennel bulbs but the morphed recipe calls for fennel pollen (made from the fennel blooms). Since fennel pollen is about or more expensive as saffron, I simply took fennel seed, ground it up fine and used that along with the seasoning.....

por 05.jpg

....now the herb/garlic mix is applied liberally to the entire surface. Although it may seem like a lot, the herbs actually help neutralize the rich fattiness of the belly......

por 06.jpg

..it's then simply a matter of placing the tenderloins on the end of the meat and rolling it up into my nice, compact football of meaty deliciousness. To hold it all in place I tied it in two directions with butcher's twine.....

por 07.jpg

por 08.jpg

I fired up my Weber kettle with a full chimney of charcoal and 3 chunks of apple wood in the SNS. I also hooked up my Fireboard controller and fan. Set the Fireboard to a cook temperature of 325*. Took about 15-20 minutes for the kettle to get up to temp and stabilize. After that the temperature held rock solid the entire cook. It took right at 3 hours for the internal temp of the roast to get to the desired 145*, at which point I pulled it and rested it on my cutting board....

por 09.jpg

Crackling was off the charts amazing. One thing I did discover was the crackling was almost impossible to cut through cleanly, even with my sharpest knife. What I did discover is the the seam made by the twine allowed my knife to cut through with little resistance, so more twine at narrower intervals would have worked to assure even slices. Just a little trick should you choose to attempt this......

After a brief rest, we carved and served. I made up a little chimicurri out of the left over herbs to serve with the meat. Again it complements and helps neutralize the fatty richness of the belly. All in all this is a pretty impressive presentation for family and guests that's a fun and relatively easy recipe to make.

Try it out some time, you'll be amazed at the results !!

por 10.jpg

por 11.jpg

Arrivederci fellow smokers !!! Troutman is once again out !!!!

Wow, that porketta looks absolutely fantastic! It’s been a while since I had the real deal.

Very nice looking smoke. That's something I could handle.

Point for sure.

Chris

Holy cow!
Glad to see you back here!
That looks absolutely fantastic!
I'm going to have to bookmark this one & give it a try!
Thanks for putting up such a detailed thread!
Great job & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Wow....that looks awesome.
Nice knife skills....butterflying the belly.

How was the skin? Crunchy? Did the loin take some flavour from the belly?

I did this once. I had the same issue: belly was thick, couldnt roll properly. I thought about cutting the top off...but i was too lazy. Managed to tie it up but it looked nothing like yours. Still tasted it pretty good.

I will follow your approach if i do it again.

Great smoke.

Trout that looks great sorry to say I probably couldn't eat it, I have a hard time with fat. LIKES
Richie

This looks amazing!!!
-How many hours did this take to cook and what was the weight of it?

I'm planning on doing a 20-25lb porchetta this weekend end and can't figure out what temperature to cook it at and how long it will take.

Wow, yours looks great.. I did 1 last weekend and I can only wish that it came out as good as yours..Great job ..

This looks amazing!!!
-How many hours did this take to cook and what was the weight of it?

I'm planning on doing a 20-25lb porchetta this weekend end and can't figure out what temperature to cook it at and how long it will take.

Re-read my write up. You need to cook a porchetta at higher heat, like 325-350* to get that crackling to setup nice and crisp. As far as time is concerned, for one that big you're probably looking at 6+ hours easily, although it depends on the thickness and dimension. But I would plan on a longer cook. Don't be as concerned about the time; however, but the internal temperature. Try not to go over 145* IT or the pork will begin to dry out. Good luck !!

Re-read my write up. You need to cook a porchetta at higher heat, like 325-350* to get that crackling to setup nice and crisp. As far as time is concerned, for one that big you're probably looking at 6+ hours easily, although it depends on the thickness and dimension. But I would plan on a longer cook. Don't be as concerned about the time; however, but the internal temperature. Try not to go over 145* IT or the pork will begin to dry out. Good luck !!
Thank you Troutman! I'll post some pictures after this weekend. This is going to be fun!

20180602_131455.jpg
20180602_190821.jpg

So I had great success with Troutman's recommendations on my 25 lb porchetta this weekend. Thank you very much again posting. We had 40 friends and neighbors over and had LOTS of left overs. Turned out to be amazing and it was the hit of the party for sure.

I got my barrel smoker really hot (around 450) for the first 45 mins or so then slowly brought it down to around 300 for the remainder of the cook. I was quick surprised when I stuck my thermometer in the meat after to 3 hrs to learn that it was getting close to completion. Once 4 hrs hit, it was completed but WAYYY too early. My guests weren't arriving for another few hrs. I opened up the smoker and let the air get to the meat to cool it off a bit. Kept it around 145 degrees internal temp for a few hours until the guests arrived and we cut into it! AMAZING!

Excellent job !! See what I mean about the cracklin', cutting through it at the strings is the way to go !! I give you a LIKE back at you !!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky