Pops6927's Wet Curing Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There is no ratio, you just have to use enough to completely submerge the meat. The only ratio is cure to water . If you can cover the meat with 1 gallon, then you only need enough cure for 1 gallon.

SmokinAl is 100% correct; mix up one gallon, if that's not enough mix up either a half or another whole gallon as needed.  I just did two 4lb. fryers in a 5 gal. bucket and used two gallons, one didn't cover them sufficiently, if you want to use that general concept for an indicator.

A little salt and sugar, a bit of cure and a gallon of water makes magic in a bucket!

Last edited:
Reactions: craig2387
Pops - I usually use Morton's Tender Quick which has much less nitrite/nitrate in it (.5% each) verses 6+ percent for Prague  1. can I use TQ for this reciepe?

Pops - I usually use Morton's Tender Quick which has much less nitrite/nitrate in it (.5% each) verses 6+ percent for Prague  1. can I use TQ for this reciepe?
Probably should let Pop's take this one, but if I remember correctly tenderquick has more salt which would throw off the overall flavor of the bacon by making it way too salty. Also as recipe is made for Cure #1, I'd stick with that it's not expensive and as long as you use care with it you don't have to hope you do your math right and can measure it all exactly.  Just my two cents.

Pops quick question I'm needing to cure the bellys from my Thanksgiving butchering project and would like to try a wet brine on the first one and possibly use on the rest.  Would you use the 1/3 c or the 1 c of sea salt for this?  Salt content isn't as big of a concern as taste for this.  Thanks Pops.  

Last edited:
Pops - I usually use Morton's Tender Quick which has much less nitrite/nitrate in it (.5% each) verses 6+ percent for Prague  1. can I use TQ for this recipe?
No, this recipe is designed for Cure No. 1.  You would have to consult the Morton's[emoji]174[/emoji] site for their sweet pickle cure: http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/meat_curing_faq.html

if you wish to use TQ[emoji]174[/emoji] products or search this and other sites for specific recipes using their product.

Pops quick question I'm needing to cure the belles from my Thanksgiving butchering project and would like to try a wet brine on the first one and possibly use on the rest.  Would you use the 1/3 c or the 1 c of sea salt for this?  Salt content isn't as big of a concern as taste for this.  Thanks Pops.  
If you are not salt sensitive or having to be salt conscience, you would probably want to use the 1 cup measure.  The Lo-salt is a sweeter flavor as it increases the concentration of the sugars by lowering the salt (but if you are diabetic you can use Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] products for the sugars 1 to 1).

I decided to try the wet cure with 2 10lb loins.

I trimmed the fat, mixed up the brine but after reading these posts, hate to admit that I am unsure of the time these loins should be in the brine.

When I make these any other time I have always used the dry cure, vacuum sealed and left in fridge for 10 days.

I have read 2-3 days and I've read 6-8 days.

update:

I have to read more info before I start asking questions, especially when the answers are already here, just have to look harder.

Thanks

Last edited:
Just found this and thought I would give it a bump out of respect !!!!
77.gif

Last time I measured with my salinometer if I remember correctly it is 35°, low enough for poultry.

This is how I cure my Canadian bacon:

Meat 1-2kg, 2-4 lbs.
  • 2 liters water or 2 quarts of water
  • 70 grams or 2.5 ounces (5 tablespoons Morton’s) kosher salt
  • 30 grams or 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) sodium nitrite (I use  DQ Cure #1)
  • 60 grams sugar or 2 ounces (1/4 cup)
  • 5 cloves garlic smashed with the flat side of a knife
  • 2 bay leaves
  • All spice, coriander, 1 tbsp each. (optional)
Brine for 3 days. Drying overnight in a fridge.

Source: http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/canadian-bacon-brining-basics/

I buy pork loin in 8-9 lbs packs and I just double the recipe. The bacon is very tasty and is not over salted.

As i live in a hot weather climate (Bangkok, Thailand) and my ambient temps day and night are 85-90 and sometimes up to 95... should i be sticking this brine solution with my meat in the fridge?

Last edited:
As i live in a hot weather climate (Bangkok, Thailand) and my ambient temps day and night are 85-90 and sometimes up to 95... should i be sticking this brine solution with my meat in the fridge?
Sneeferson... evening.....   Yes it goes in the refer..... about 38 deg F is good...  And the length of time is usually figured at 1/4" per day + 2 days, minimum..... and remember the brine and cure is penetrating from both sides so a 2" thick slab figures 4 days + 2 days minimum and mixing or rotating or turning is recommended for safety and uniform curing contact.....   Dave

Reactions: charswifterie
Pops... I'm curious, why do you add so much sugar? Doesn't that give the smoked meat a very sweet taste rather than salty?

- Newbie :D

Pops... I'm curious, why do you add so much sugar? Doesn't that give the smoked meat a very sweet taste rather than salty?

Pops can answer for sure but from reading his many posts this Brine is based on his Dad's Brine that is many years old and tried and true with Thousands of pounds of meat sold. I as well as many here have used it for Bacon. Buck Board Bacon and Canadian Bacon, I will do a Ham some day, and can attest to it being Awesome and perfect for Pork. It does have a somewhat sweet taste but is nicely balanced when used with 1/2 to 1Cup Salt...JJ

If you like it more salty, give it less sugar. Sugar is not curing meat. It is just there to lower the harshness of salt and for taste purposes. Personally, I find classic Canadian bacon and ham too sweet for my taste, so I use less sugar. Also I add a lot of garlic and some all spice to my brine. It tastes great. 

I have found the best way for me to prepare a brine is to recalculate it based on meat weight. I put my recipe into a spreadsheet and recalculate the ingredients based on how much meat I have. I also pump the meat with solution. It reduces the curing time.

Reactions: charswifterie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky