Pops6927's Wet Curing Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Kinda funny. I just converted Pops Brine to weight last weekend for the CB run. I can post my numbers later if you guys want. I am a big fan of using weight so it is consistent using different salts AND so I can figure out smaller quantities. IE I did a half batch of 3/4 strength...

I am actually surprised how much less salt some of you guys are using. 1/2C kosher (large crystal) is basically 1/4C table and that is half the strength of his low salt.

Since we're playing along. I pumped the CB so how long of a brine? I think 7-10 days or so. CB is for Easter.

Kinda funny. I just converted Pops Brine to weight last weekend for the CB run. I can post my numbers later if you guys want. I am a big fan of using weight so it is consistent using different salts AND so I can figure out smaller quantities. IE I did a half batch of 3/4 strength...

I am actually surprised how much less salt some of you guys are using. 1/2C kosher (large crystal) is basically 1/4C table and that is half the strength of his low salt.

Since we're playing along. I pumped the CB so how long of a brine? I think 7-10 days or so. CB is for Easter.

Please do post your numbers. I gave a friend some bacon made with 1 cup of kosher and both he and his wife said it needed more salt! Thanks

I like a heaping Tbsp cure #1, 1/3c each brown sugar, Maple syrup and kosher salt/gallon water for 14 days for back bacon. No fermenting issues.

Reactions: chopsaw
As a long time brewer, it makes no sense to me that white refined sugar does not ferment(ropiness) whereas less refined/demerara/brown sugar does.

WOW K. 1/3C large crystal>1/6C table salt. 2.67 tablespoon to a gallon. Why brine at all? :D

My conversion of Pops standard brine into weight:
1C Table salt 320g
1C White sugar 216g
1C Brown sugar 216g
1 "heaping" TBSP cure #1/pink salt 24g

Not sure if it's sinking in, but large grain salts IE kosher/canning are typically about 1/2 the weight of smaller grain salts such as sea or table. Weight is the ultimate equalizer... I have to thank Pops again for sharing the family recipe!

You're not sure if it's sinking in ? Alot of smart people on here that know exactly what they are doing , and why they do it .

zwiller, morning... FWIW, white refined sugar is sterilized... to meet food code for the FDA requirements... As white sugar is used in commercial processes like cakes and candies etc... and they don't want pathogens to enter the food chain...
Unlike brown sugar etc. which is a home use product and does not come under regulations and the FDA doesn't regulate what you put in your food.. If they did, they would be in your kitchen.. and in your brew shack to check for roaches.....
Now, that may sound stupid, but as an example, the FDA/USDA etc. does NOT allow nitrate in bacon.. Yet they allow the homemaker to use Tender Quick when making bacon...

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks Dave. Never heard that refined was sterilized but that makes sense. Anyone ever fool with potassium sorbate in a brine?

Time will tell if mine will turn ropy. Loins went in the drink Sunday 18th. Plan to pull on 30th for a overnight rest and smoke next day for Easter. Longest brine I ever did.

If it turns ropy, pull the meat and rinse.. make a new brine and stuff the meat back in...
Check your fridge temp while you are at it... a warm fridge will grow bacteria much faster than a cooler fridge...
36-38 F is ideal for curing meats.. too cold and your fresh veggies will freeze and you will be in deep doo-doo...

DD4FE3C2-D2F4-4360-9262-3D702C4E4A17.jpeg 4036421A-BFDE-40D1-AF87-455B20CD0144.jpeg
I just tried pops brine with ham bacon and loin for the first time two weeks ago. The changes I made was reduced the brown suger by half, only because I didn’t have more and used 1 cup mortons pickling salt (reg salt just different grain structures; it disolves easily). Pulled them out after 2 weeks in, which I understood to be the recommendation from the original recipe posts. When I dry cure, 1 week is usually enough. Anyway, everything was too salty. Was it in for too long or the the curing salts was more dense, thus making it too salty? Also, Hams are still in the brine; should I remove them now (they were injected)? Lastly, how long should I soak in water to reduce the saltiness on the meat? I have a lot of ham in the buckets so, I would hate to remove too early. Thank you all in advance for your help guys!

Just checked mortans , the pickling salt is a 1/1 ratio to table salt. Now im more confused as to why its too salty.

I use 1/3cup per gallon and it works for me. Some folks like the saltier stuff and that's ok too. All personal preference. Consider the smoker that has to cover food with salt and pepper when others eat it as it is placed in front of them.

Barry.

I always match sugar to salt . I use 1/2 cup of each per gallon . My thoughts are by reducing the sugar you added to the salty taste .

I always match sugar to salt . I use 1/2 cup of each per gallon . My thoughts are by reducing the sugar you added to the salty taste .
I see. I still used 1 cup reg suger and half cup brown with 1 cup salt. I think reducing the salt next time should suffice. Opinions on removing hams after 2 weeks?

Lots going on here but first, cure time is determined by thickness. 1/4" per day is generally accepted. Injecting speeds the the cure time and based on what I've read effectively halves it.

Sweetness offset saltiness, so using less brown sugar hurts you. I also think the standard brine is too salty. Not inedible but just over the top. It's gonna take some experimenting to find your preference. I make it a point to taste my brines to help me get a feel. Last cured brine was 3/4C. I like mine 2:1 sugar:salt.

Lot's of guys soak to remove excess salt. Try a day and change water a few times. Then do a fry taste and see if you are OK.

I use 1/3cup per gallon and it works for me. Some folks like the saltier stuff and that's ok too. All personal preference. Consider the smoker that has to cover food with salt and pepper when others eat it as it is placed in front of them.

Barry

I will try 1/3 to 1/2 next time. Thanks

I
Lots going on here but first, cure time is determined by thickness. 1/4" per day is generally accepted. Injecting speeds the the cure time and based on what I've read effectively halves it.

Sweetness offset saltiness, so using less brown sugar hurts you. I also think the standard brine is too salty. Not inedible but just over the top. It's gonna take some experimenting to find your preference. I make it a point to taste my brines to help me get a feel. Last cured brine was 3/4C. I like mine 2:1 sugar:salt.

Lot's of guys soak to remove excess salt. Try a day and change water a few times. Then do a fry taste and see if you are OK.

appreciate the input. Very helpful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky