Pops6927's Wet Curing Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wanted to ask ,, did you rinse the surface when you took it out ? What cuts were salty ? Did you smoke them or was a fry test salty ?

Wanted to ask ,, did you rinse the surface when you took it out ? What cuts were salty ? Did you smoke them or was a fry test salty ?

Bacon, loin piece and one slice of Ham all fry tested. They were rinsed well. Thanks

Did you use a needle injector or a broadcast injector? (needle - straight. broadcast - holes on all four sides.)
morton curing-needles.jpg
morton curing-needle_sm.jpg

The broadcast injector does a much better job inundating the interior of the meat vs. the needle injector (which is used for "arterial" injection so that the curing brine travels through the pork leg's arteries vs. injecting the muscles.)

You get both with the Morton's Meat Pump -

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_45_231&products_id=25

Artery pumping the hind leg:

Last edited:

I have made about 6 bellies with dry cure recipes and have been successful with them. Im no expert for sure, but I know what too salty is. They werent innedible, just gave you a pucker and thirst for water. Haha

Did you use a needle injector or a broadcast injector? (needle - straight. broadcast - holes on all four sides.) View attachment 358646 View attachment 358647

The broadcast injector does a much better job inundating the interior of the meat vs. the needle injector (which is used for "arterial" injection so that the curing brine travels through the pork leg's arteries vs. injecting the muscles.)

You get both with the Morton's Meat Pump -

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_45_231&products_id=25
Needle with two side ports in the ham meat and around bone.
Thanks

frankljs frankljs , afternoon... To make yourself a custom brine/cure solution, weigh the meat.. weigh out water 1/2 the weight of the meat... Add the 2 weights together and weigh out 2% salt, 1% white sugar and 1 tsp. of cure#1 for every 5#'s of water+meat weight.. dissolve the ingredients in the water... do not heat the cure#1... If you want to warm a small amount of water from the brine, do so,dissolve the salt and sugar... add it back to the original volume... cool the mix below 80.. add the cure.... then cool the brine mix to below 40 deg. F.... add the refrigerated meat...
Now you have an equilibrium brine/cure mix... the meat will not get too salty and you can leave it in as long as you like.. Keep it below 40 deg. F...

My buddy used to have his bear hams cure/smoked... he found bear meat sucked up salt really good... He had to cut the normal salt in half to get good bear ham...

Last edited:
frankljs frankljs , afternoon... To make yourself a custom brine/cure solution, weigh the meat.. weigh out water 1/2 the weight of the meat... Add the 2 weights together and weigh out 2% salt, 1% white sugar and 1 tsp. of cure#1 for every 5#'s of water+meat weight.. dissolve the ingredients in the water... do not heat the cure#1... If you want to warm a small amount of water from the brine, do so,dissolve the salt and sugar... add it back to the original volume... cool the mix below 80.. add the cure.... then cool the brine mix to below 40 deg. F.... add the refrigerated meat...
Now you have an equilibrium brine/cure mix... the meat will not get too salty and you can leave it in as long as you like.. Keep it below 40 deg. F...

My buddy used to have his bear hams cure/smoked... he found bear meat sucked up salt really good... He had to cut the normal salt in half to get good bear ham...

I think i used one of your equilibrium brines the first time I did a ham over a year ago. Haha,I forgot to inject and it didn’t cure all the way through. The rest was good though.
I will add this to my notes too. Ty sir! I didn’t want to think too hard this go around so I used pops Brine.
If you aren’t making mistakes you not learning. Thanks again

Wow - way too much difficulty, computing, figuring, heating, cooling..... KISS

I think i used one of your equilibrium brines the first time I did a ham over a year ago. Haha,I forgot to inject and it didn’t cure all the way through. The rest was good though.
I will add this to my notes too. Ty sir! I didn’t want to think too hard this go around so I used pops Brine.
If you aren’t making mistakes you not learning. Thanks again

I bet I have about 75lbs of meat between three buckets. Thus the reasoning for Pops brine. Tried to keep it simple. Thanks

595BAF57-201A-4AEA-8497-A4ACDED2FD67.jpeg 96888D99-42D2-41E6-B85E-793AC70D82FD.jpeg 01913521-EABC-4057-B4DD-E9FDBC85D318.jpeg
So after pulling hams at 2.5 weeks and bacon at 2. Cold smoking for 16 hours. The Hams were the best! The bacon needed to soak a day in water to get the saltines reduced to my liking. But everything turned out great! I forgot to get a Bacon pic

Reactions: zwiller
Hmm, I have about 5 pounds of pork boneless country ribs. I wonder how they would go with this brine. Then on to either cold smoke. Or hot smoke. Anybody try this?

I am glad I still had the link to this brine. I haven't had time to do much of any smoking in about 2 years. So I had some time on my hands and figured I would smoke some Canadian bacon, regular bacon, and a ham. I slaughtered and butchered one of my guinea hogs so I would have some very fresh pig to work with and today they all get brined and the process starts. I am excited!!! You are the best pops and so is this brine.

Okay question for the group. I bought a 5 # pork belly last night. I’m brining it in a Briner Jr bucket. One gallon wasn’t enough to cover it so I made another gallon and still used all the ingredients for the second gallon,sugar,salt,PP#1, Brown Sugar. Now it’s covered I hope I did this right??.... feedback needed thanks

Yes! You did it right! I've done turkeys with 8 gallons of curing brine before. I just used the same proportionate amounts for each gallon, keeping the concentration the same; it's just that simple. No worries!

Reactions: Ishi
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky