Pop's Magic Injection Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I tried Dave's inject on whole chicken before and came out salty. That is probably why. I am learning several things on this thread. Thanks all.
Yes sir, and I have found with that same injection from Dave, on chicken at 1.5% salt is just a tad to much. More like 1.0% or increase the carcass weight to 35-40%. On ham it’s spot on, poultry a little on the salty side
That's good to know, especially since I would use a little rub and probably some coarse pepper to flavor the skin.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yes sir, and I have found with that same injection from Dave, on chicken at 1.5% salt is just a tad to much. More like 1.0% or increase the carcass weight to 35-40%. On ham it’s spot on, poultry a little on the salty side
That's a great point . I've only done that one chicken with it . Hams always spot on .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
LOL... First and foremost, this is NOT a brine, its not a marinade, its is an injected flavor modifier. I use a cattle injection syringe and not the big SS injector with the huge needle. I use canning salt and liquid components so it doesn't plug up the needle. The dang butter is bad enough because the meat is no doubt cold when injected. You know in your mind's eye the origin and insertion of the muscles involved in most poultry. Remember and use that. Use numerous small injections, no one likes pooling, you are enhancing the poultry's natural taste not changing it.

Try a chicken as said above, its a great place to practice and adjust according. (I actually cut the salt by 50% because I use fine grind or canning salt). Let me now go back and see if I can answer anything. LOL

<Chuckles> I am almost 70 years old, this was my Pop’s injection, he was impressed that he could get all the bottles of liquid flavor. Chemicals were not part of his cooking/smoking vocabulary. He never used a binder or something for fluid retention. Heck I can remember how impressed we all were the first Thanksgiving he brined a bird! He only did it once and went back to his injections.

FYI, I personally like Amespho (phosphate) It adds a certain twang to the meat while also holding the fluids. But I use this in cured pork (sausages, andouille, tasso, hocks, Hammie stix, etc.). I have used cures in poultry but only in a brine.

Reactions: zwiller
LOL... First and foremost, this is NOT a brine, its not a marinade, its is an injected flavor modifier. I use a cattle injection syringe and not the big SS injector with the huge needle. I use canning salt and liquid components so it doesn't plug up the needle. The dang butter is bad enough because the meat is no doubt cold when injected. You know in your mind's eye the origin and insertion of the muscles involved in most poultry. Remember and use that. Use numerous small injections, no one likes pooling, you are enhancing the poultry's natural taste not changing it.

Try a chicken as said above, its a great place to practice and adjust according. (I actually cut the salt by 50% because I use fine grind or canning salt). Let me now go back and see if I can answer anything. LOL
Thanks for the reply Kevin. I am doing this tonight.

Remember to set your chicken out a bit early under a fan and get that rockin pellicle while knocking the chill off that cold bird. Butter's a bitch injecting in a cold bird. Actually like in all things I try to have it all done a day ahead, so it can marry with the meat.
Hope ya enjoy it, always good to have an extra gun in your holster.

Yeah, butter can be "fun" to inject but worth it. I bought some to fool with but have not yet tried it. Was cheap too. https://www.bbuds.com/food-service/products/butter-buds-1

When I was but a wee lad, Mom started trying to use Idaho powdered taters with butter buds. I was a kid, but seemed the taste was there, but the texture was all wrong. Of course Pop had to say something, (The only time he ever took his foot out of his mouth was to dry it off), just after she had bought a big box. I thought he might have to wear 'em.... ,LOL We ate those taters every night for two weeks, ( it was the large economy box) !

I have tried using butter extract, I use maple in my pork brine cure, but butter extract doesn't do too good. So I keep the injection fluid warm and just allow the chicken some time on the counter to come up to temperature before injecting.

Last edited:
Took Kevin's suggestion to half the salt and that was good call. Was wanting to try something different and that was this. The onion and garlic juice where there and a nice mellow heat. This was good. Not something would do regularly but nice for a change. Had a cold piece last night and it was good. Think I will freeze the rest and use on next turkey breast. Had a problem with probe A on Rec Tec. I normally use my Inkbird but decided to use these. After going from 225 to 360 probe A keep going up and down. Constant food cooling and food getting hot alarms. I swapped probes around and it stayed with Probe A. Must be some kind of controller issue.

20210612_152215.jpg 20210612_173755.jpg

Gretchen says smells good.
20210612_173827.jpg

20210612_175059.jpg 20210612_175113.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky